Chapter Thirteen

Izuku wiggled across the living room and slowly sat on the long couch in Ochaco's living room. The woman wore a baggy, pink pullover and grey sweat pants. Izuku scanned the room and tried to get a read on what was going on before asking his friend who was currently digging her head deeper and deeper into his chest. Deku looked at the box of tissues on the glass table besides the couch and the many used tissues rolled up on the face of the table. He then leaned his head over and looked at the television as it detailed an accident from the other day. The sound may have been muted, but that didn't keep Midoryia from reading the red banner and its words: Young boy lost in tragedy. Izuku softly rested his chin on Ochaco's head and quietly asked,"What happened ?"

Uraraka tightened her hold on the man and wept,"Someone got hurt because of me !"

Deku pushed Ochaco from his chest and held her by the the shoulders. He looked into her red, watery eyes and said,"Tell me everything."

Uraraka nodded and  cleared her throat."T-The other day there was a bombing." Izuku's eyes grew softer with each word she uttered."Bein' a rescue hero me and my team was the first ones to go in, and it was terrifying Deku. Rubble was everywhere and I-I even saw a few li-" Izuku pulled her into a tight hug.

"It's okay, if it is too difficult you don't have to tell me."

Ochaco took a deep breath and slowly exhaled."I-It was hard to look at, but I had seen worse." Uraraka took a long pause as she tried to keep her tears under check."We had helped  a bunch of people out and we thought we were doin' well until there was a cry. I went after the kid and found him holding onto a stuffed animal with dust coverin' him from the explosion. He was crying so much Deku !  And I did the usual stuff like calm him down and slowly reach out to him, but as I got closer he began to move....t-th-the floor below him gave out." Ochaco broke out into a loud cry and buried her round face in Izuku's chest again. Her fingers dug into his back and tugged on his shirt. 

Izuku face was stiff as he looked at the wall. There was a  lump in his throat and he began to remember the first time he failed to save a life. The man had been in a car crash and Izuku tried and tried to rip the man out of the car, but he couldn't and the vehicle exploded. For the next month he had been timid about suiting up and thought about the incident everytime he saved someone.

Deku put a hand on the back of Ochaco's head and began to slowly stroke her hair. He couldn't let her know he had experienced something similar, but he could tell her the truth."It's not your fault."

"Yes it is !", bawled the woman.

"No it's not. I know you Ochaco and how you are. You did everything in your power to save that kid, but it wasn't enough. If you couldn't save him than no-one could, and all that matters is you gave it your all. A true hero is someone that cares for the little guy, and the way you feel proves your one of the best out there."

Ochaco slowly lifted her face from the man's chest and looked up at him. Her nose was red and entire face had been flushed red. Izuku couldn't explain it, but even when a mess her beauty was still mesmerizing to him. The woman slowly inched her face towards his and the entire apartment was silent, except for the soft patter of rain outside. The pair's breaths touched the others face and Izuku felt her hand reach up and touch his cheek. The man's heart stopped at the soft touch. Ochaco then continued to sit up until she placed her soft lips against his.

Izuku froze at first and didn't move a muscle, but as his blood began to rush he forgot about thinking and returned the gesture. He leaned into her and everything he had felt for years came rushing out. The man fell on top of Uraraka and the woman wrapped her legs around his back as she began to pull off his shirt. The cotton t-shirt fell onto the ground and the woman's eyes stared at the man in awe, but it quickly faded into something else-worry.

"D-Deku, h-how did you get all of these scars." Ochaco then began to trace her fingers along the jagged formations of his skin. Izuku instantly let go of her and stood up. The man cursed himself for letting his emotions come over. 

Midoryia picked up his shirt and pulled it over his head. He then looked at Ochaco who laid on the couch with a worried expression and warned,"This isn't something you want."

"Wh-What do you mean this isn't somethin' I want ?"

"Yo-You don't want to do this Uraraka."

"Do what, love you !"

"That's right, I'm not someone you should love."

"But I do !" The woman's voice grew quieter as she admitted,"I always have."

"N-No, you're confusing a silly crush from our childhood with love; those are two completely different things." Izuku then turned and walked towards the door of the apartment.

"Deku, do you love me !?", asked Ochaco as she pleaded for the truth.

Midoryia silently looked at her not knowing what to say.

"Do you love me ?", cried Ochaco."Because I know what I feel in my heart."

"I-I don't know," lied Izuku."But I know one thing, I'm not worthy of your heart Ochaco. You're beautiful, kind, talented, everything a man dreams of, so if you're going to love someone let it be a person that deserves."

Uraraka sobbed,"What did I do this time Deku !"

"You haven't done anything wrong ! When we first met again I could tell I was falling for you again, but someone reminded me that we can't be a thing. I hurt you, and I'll just end up doing it again. Kacchan told me about what happened at U.A. and how he was there for you when I broke your heart." Izuku then cried as he hysterically laughed,"My childhood bully was there for you when I wasn't. And that's why I can't be with you, because I never devoted enough of myself to you, I was always too busy chasing an improbable dream." The man then opened the door and walked out of Ochaco's apartment with a heavy heart.