Chapter Seventeen

"Midoryia !", shouted the middle-aged man with graying hairs as he stared down the employee walking through the opened elevator door. The man's amber eyes studied Izuku before shooting to the clock hanging from the wall."You're on time-again !"

Midoryia's was perplexed and his lips wiggled as he tried to think of something to say."Thanks...I think ?"

The man standing in the middle of the workplace then began to run his chin as he thought."Meet me in my office in five minutes !"

"Yes sir !"

.....

Deku slowly closed the heavy door behind him and pulled back the black, leather chair. The messy-haired man sat down and looked at his boss. The older man behind the large desk placed his head on his hands and looked Midoryia in the eyes."Something is different about you."

Izuku pointed to himself and began to speak at the speed of light."W-Wh-Me ? I promise you I'm the same Midoryia, except I come to work on time now."

"I don't buy it kid, but at the same time I don't give a damn !"

"Then why'd you bring it up ?"

"That is besides the point !"  Izuku boss then reached into his desk and pulled out a business card."Did you know they reopened ?"

Deku snatched the card from the man's hairy hands and studied it. His emerald eyes glazed it and he let out a quiet,"No."

"Well it turns out may people don't, so I need you to write a story on it."

"Tungsten is high profile; why don't you get  Dokugo to cover it ?"

"He's busy with something a little bit bigger right now, so I want you to go."

.....

Izuku stood outside and looked at the large building. The walls were still the same pearly white from all those years ago and the lawn had not seemed to age a day. The smelt freshly trimmed and the bright green gave the place a lively feel. Midoryia let out a sigh as he stepped into the automatic doors and peered at the thick, sharp letters that spelled out: Tungsten Labs.

Izuku spun in circles as he looked around the building, that seemed to be more of a palace. The fixtures above Deku's head brightly lit everything and many men and women wander around in white lab coats. Izuku scratched his freckled cheek as he timidly approached the front desk, where a receptionist sat with glasses resting on her nose and her fair face framed by short black hair. The woman stared at the screen in front of her and Izuku stood by the desk hoping she'd notice him. After an awkward few minutes Izuku tapped the metal bell and a loud ding sounded. The woman looked up from the bright screen and gave Deku a puzzled glance.

Izuku gave her a shy wave accompanied by a smile and tried to explain what he was doing at her desk."Hey, I'm with the local paper and I'm suppose to be doing a piece on some new ground breaking research you guys are doing; my boss didn't exactly give me all of the details ."

The woman's dark blue eyes focused on his face and then began to scan the small tags resting on her desk. The woman's slender hands slid across the flat surface and gripped at one of the many laminated cards."Izuku Midoryia ?"

"That's me."The woman rolled her eyes and handed him the identification. The man clipped it to the breast pocket of his shirt and looked at the woman."You wouldn't happen to know where I need to go ?"

The lady shook her head and let out a sigh."Room number three hundred."

"Thank you."

.....

Izuku stood outside of the large steel door that said three hundred and looked at the strange keypad on the wall. Izuku's eyes widened  in horror as he realized he was suppose to enter some code to gain access to the room. Midoryia's finger hovered over the many numbers and he just looked at them, not pressing a button. As Deku stood nervously in front of the door an odd slurping noise came from behind him. Izuku whipped his head around and stared at the man behind him.

The was about the same height as Izuku and his light brown hair was combed over. The man's eyes were a chaotic orange and the man's scruffy beard covered his olive skin that had the occasional black smudge across his face. Izuku's eyes then fell to the steaming up of coffe in the man's hand and then Deku's eyes focused on the man's name tag. Dr. Kurmecha. The man pushed Izuku out of the way and Deku's eyes were barely able to follow the man's fingers as he punched in the code. The doors slowly opened and the insane man walked in, but as he did so he turned around and motioned his hand towards Izuku."Are you coming in or not kid ?"

"M-Me ?", squeaked Izuku.

"Yes you ! Aren't you the kid from Rappa Papers ?" Izuku looked at the man and nodded."Well come on then; I've got some amazing things to show you !"

.....

Izuku stood in the small lab and watched as the man ran around the place trying to clear his work area. Dr. Kurmecha swiped many of the old pizza boxes and foam cups off the metal bench and into a trash can far too small for his trash. Izuku looked at the man in shock and slowly shuffled around the lab.

Dr. Kurmecha cleared his throat and ran his hands through his short hair as he looked at Izuku's I.D. "How much do you know about cancer research ?"

"Not a whole lot, but I know that despite the many healing quirks in the world they can't be used against it, because the issue with Cancer is you have too many cells not enough."

The scientist clapped his hands together and yelled,"Exactly ! But what if I told you I made a breakthrough and here at Tungsten we are one step closer to solving the Rubik's Cube that is Cancer."

Izuku plucked the pen resting on his ear and pulled the small notebook from his back pocket."That sounds amazing ! B-But how would yo-"

"I'll show you, but you need to watch closely." Dr. Kurmecha then turned from Izuku and walked towards a large metal contraption. The man slipped on thick blue gloves and grabbed onto a metal tool. The scientist than carefully clamped onto a glass cylinder and methodically pulled it from metal freezer. Izuku watched as the gaseous anti-freeze filled the room and the man placed the container on the work bench in the middle of the room.

Izuku leaned forward and stared at the strange dark matter that filled the glass cylinder. The thick, slimy substance began to move and Izuku jumped back a foot."I-I-It's moving !"

"I know right !", laughed Dr. Kurmecha."Isn't it amazing."

Deku began to slowly inch back toward the bench and tilted his head as he looked at the thing."W-What is it ?"

"Okay kid, this is going to sound crazy, but it is a symbiotic organism."

"Symbiotic ?",whispered Izuku under his breath as he tapped his chin and entered a deep though."So it and the host co-exist and I'm guessing that's how it would help, right ?"

"Yes !"

Izuku then leaned towards the strange creature in the jar once again and asked,"Have you done any testing with it ?"

"N-No, the board hasn't approved that yet, but when they do I'll get on that as soon as possible. I'm sure this will save lives."

Deku stared at the sludge as it moved around the jar and he nearly fell backwards on his butt when it lunged at him and hit the glass wall between them."I-It's kinda active don't you think ?"

Dr. Kurmecha pursed his lips and said,"I've never seen it react like that with anyone before."

Izuku shook his head and pointed to the table in the corner of the room,"How about we officially start the interview and get you in the paper ?" As he walked with the scientist towards the table he couldn't help but look at the creation in the cylinder as it continued to bang against the glass barrier.