Chapter One

© Copyright

No parts may be reproduced or utilized in any form, or by any means without prior consent by way of License Agreement. This includes recording, photocopying, electronic/digital and mechanical, or in any information storage or retrieval system. 

* * * 

-Chapter One-

My eyes slowly fluttered open as I heard my bedroom door creak open off to the left side of my bedroom. My eyelids slowly, and I returned to my crazy dream. By 'crazy', I mean unicorns and rainbows everywhere.

"Alex, you should be awake. Get up," A voice that I recognized as Danielle's said. Danielle was my best friend; I have known her since we were little babies.. She has been through every crazy twist and turn with me since I first knew how to say "wee wee," which, by the way, was my first word, and I, Alex Annabelle Turner, am very proud of it.

Why am I somewhat awake right now? I should be at the rainbow party at Mrs. Skittles' house right now! Again with the dreaming.

I moaned an incoherent reply to Danielle. In sleep language, I would've been saying, "Can't you go away? I am tired, and sorry Danielle, but right now my bed is my best friend."

Her feet padded against the cream colored carpet that was oh so wonderfully placed in my bedroom. "Ew. You're face isn't very attractive when you're sleeping like that," Danielle commented as she hovered over me.

I let my hazel eyes open again to meet her chocolate brown ones. "Are you here for a specific reason, Dan?"

"Actually, yes. First of all, your demented little sister is being a brat again, and second, I'm bored. Oh, and I have a question to ask you."

The 'demented little sister' Dan was referring to was Peyton. Peyton is my little sister who is fourteen years old. She's like a little, annoying bug that keeps landing on your food when you when you're trying to eat a hot dog at a barbeque. . . You know, the ones you hate?

"What question do you have to ask me?"

"How do you manage to fall asleep at five o'clock in the afternoon?" she asked, cocking her head to the side.

"I stayed up until four this morning doing that stupid, science project, remember?" Yes, that is a true fact. I honestly did my project at the last minute. Hey, what can I say? Procrastination is my middle name! Don't take that literally..

I sat up in my queen sized bed and stretched my arms, yawning.

"Procrastinator," Danielle called me.

"Don't worry. I haven't forgotten yet." I climbed out of bed and ran a hand through my long, knotted blonde hair. "Hair status?"

"It looks like a tornado hit your head while you were in Dreamland, then a bird made a nest out of it... And then another tornado hit it." Danielle smirked at me.

"Thanks." Better get this taken care of. After thoroughly brushing through my hair, it looked somewhat decent. "What's for breakfast?"

"Breakfast was over at ten AM, hon. We had waffles, bacon, and eggs, but it's all gone now. I think you can deal with cereal for today, right?"

I groaned. How could I forget that it's five PM already? Now, I really regret not waking up this morning, especially since there was bacon involved. The bad thing is, the only cereal we have is Raison Bran and old cornflakes.

Might as well kill myself now.

I hate Raison Bran. It tastes like dried, washed up cardboard to me. I would literally die first before I ate even a little bit of Raison Bran. I don't know why my mother still bothers buying it; no one even really touches it.

I dragged my feet across the carpeted hallway floors and down the stairs. I'm just not in the mood to face the treacherous obstacles of the day. Or, the other half of the day, might I say. I made my way to the kitchen, where I grabbed a Fiber One granola bar, and went to the living room to sit on the couch.

"Look here! Sleeping Beauty is awake!" my mom cheered. "It's about time."

I gave her a fake, short laugh. "Yep, look at me." I unsheathed my granola bar from its wrapper and began munching on it. Danielle sat next to me with her laptop in her hands. "What are you doing?" I asked her.

"On Wattpad chatting with some girl," she replied and began typing away.

"Cool beans." I leaned over, resting my head on her shoulder. "I'm tired..." I drawled. I shut my eyes, and pictured Mrs. Skittles in my head, attempting to resume my dream from this morning.

My phone 'dinged' in the pocket of my pajama pants. I jumped frantically, opening my eyes. Why does everyone have to keep interrupting my precious dreams?

Fishing my iPhone out of my pocket, I checked to see who had texted me.

Unknown Number

I furrowed my eyes in confusion and read the oh-so-creative text message.

"Hey!"

Should I reply, or should I just ignore it? I mean, after all, this person did interrupt my dream. They don't deserve a reply. What if they keep texting me? I sighed. Oh well.

I didn't know it at that exact point, but that one 'hey' turned into something much more than just a random stranger having the wrong number. Trust me, I didn't expect it either, but that one text message led to something way bigger than the normal 'sorry, wrong number' situation...

Hey, you! Yes, you. I just wanted to say, thanks a ton for reading my first chapter! Even if you don't continue reading, thank you!