TPAM: Chapter 17

Maddy

I'm nervous. Tonight is the homecoming party!

I haven't been to any social gathering in a long time, so I'm not exactly sure what to do, what to expect, and how to act in this kind of event.

It's been two weeks since nung nag-offer si Eli to be my date. We've been getting along really great, so far. Since our friends are busy with the preparations for the homecoming, kameng dalawa ang palaging magkasama lately. And I must say, I'm really liking his company. Mahilig paren siyang mang-asar, pero I'm getting used to it. Minsan dinadaan ko na lang sa tingin, ayun... tumitigil na agad siya.

It's past 6 in the evening, and I'm almost done prepping myself. I did my hair and make-up. Medyo simple lang since that's what I'm used to.

Tita chose my dress which is a light metallic pink ensemble.

Naiilang nga ako kasi medyo sexy siya, which not what I would normally wear. But they insisted that I wear this. Yes, THEY! Pinagtulungan ako ng mga kamag-anak ko. Even Kuya Luke who's very conservative! Ewan ko ba.

"Maddy, can I come in? Are you decent?" Kuya knocked.

"Yep. Pasok!" I answered while still busy fixing make-up.

"You look stunning, Maddy." He said as soon as he opens the door. He leaned on my wall and just stared at me.

"Thank you, Kuya. Pero  as my cousin and adoptive brother, I think you're obligated to say that." I chuckled.

"Hindi ah. Di ba dapat mas inaasar kita. Pero nope, I'm just saying what's true. I'm sure your date will be equally mesmerized," sabay ngisi saken. Baliw.

"Hindi ako ang type nun. Naawa lang saken yun kaya nag-offer to be my date." I said in defense. E sa totoo naman. Ako, magugustuhan nun? Imposible. Saka we're just getting to know each other, no. Pwede ba!

"Don't sell yourself short, Madz. You're beautiful! Any guy would be lucky to have you. Saka wag kang magsalita ng tapos. Baka after tonight, may something something na Elijah." He wiggled his brows at me. Sarap din minsan sapakin nitong Kuya ko. Lakas ng trip!

"Ewan ko sayo! Sige na, lumayas ka na tatapusin ko ng mag-ayos. Baka bigla ng dumating si mokong." I pushed him out of my room and closed the door. Narinig ko pa siyang tumatawa. Baliw talaga.

I took one last look in the mirror. I can't help but smile and be proud of myself. Akalain mo yun, may igaganda pala ako!

But kidding aside, I was never one who's too concerned on how I look. I've always been one of the boys. I'm always surrounded by testosterones; even one of my best friends is a guy. Kaya hindi talaga ako naging kikay or girly.

Except when we need to attend school events, which is very rare for me. Like I said, I don't normally go to social gatherings. But when my family insists, that's where my Mom comes in. She helps me with everything. Even when she's busy, she will find time to tend to me. She was the one who actually taught me how to do my hair and makeup. I really miss her. I'm sure she's very proud of her baby girl right now.

I heard another knock on my door.

"Maddy, are you done? Elijah's here." Tita said as she pops her head on my door. "Oh my! You're so beautiful, my dear." She's starting to tear up.

"Ah Tita! Stop that! Don't make me cry!" I warned her while fanning my eyes with my hands.

"I'm sorry. I just can't help it. Ang ganda ganda mo! And I'm really proud of you for doing this. I know it's been a while since you've attended this kind of event, and I know it's scary. Kaya mas lalo akong proud sa'yo for conquering that." She hugged me tightly.