Chapter 12

Vincent Kinsington

Alex leaned against my apartment door as he waited for me to return home. I paused. He hadn't noticed me yet. I almost left. Alex could read me easily. If he saw me now, he'd probably figure out my plans or at least figure out I had plans.

His green eyes looked down the hallway and landed on me. Too late to escape now. I walked up to my door and he took a step to the side so I could access it. There was a tightness in his jaw and lips that told me he wasn't very happy at the moment. I surmised with me. I unlocked the door and stepped inside. I opened the door wide so he could follow me which he did. He didn't say anything when he stepped into my apartment. He didn't pause as he made his way to my bedroom.

I closed and locked the door to my apartment. My feet were heavy and didn't want to move, but I forced myself to go to the bedroom. Alex sat on my couch waiting for me. I sat down next to him.

"You were going to tell Mateo's parents?" he asked. His tone was calm, but his eyes were not.

"Does it matter now?" I asked. "You clearly know so he must know. How do you know though?"

He shook his head and stared forward at the black screen on my t.v.

"Chet?" I asked. Alex didn't answer, but I knew that must be it. I knew I had talked too much earlier and he was more perceptive than I thought he would be.

"So what is Mateo going to do now?" I asked.

"He will tell his family," Alex said. His eyes softened as he continued to look at the black screen.

"When?"

"Tomorrow."

"Then I'll wait and see what happens," I said.

Alex gave me a side-eye knowing I wasn't finished in my quest to break them up.

"Are you hoping his family will object and he'll break up with me?" Alex asked. "Do you want me to be miserable?"

"No," I slumped. I really, truly didn't want my best friend to be miserable. "I'm trying to stop that."

"Mateo isn't Jason," Alex said. "I am truly happy with him."

"And what if his family does object and he chooses them over you?"

"Then it's over," Alex said easily. "I won't waste my time fighting over someone who won't fight with me. You should know me better than that."

"I do. It's just...I don't want you hurt."

"And I already told you pain is part of life. You can't protect me completely from pain. Even if you manage to somehow succeed and break us up do you think I will be happy?"

"You'll be sad for a short time," I said, "but the pain will be less than if you get too attached to him and he breaks your heart later."

Alex smiled. "Let me feel pain, Vinny. Let me feel happiness. You can still stay by me and be my best friend but still let me be me. Still let me feel. I need to make my own choices in life."

I put the back of my head against the wall and stared up at the white ceiling. Part of me knew he was right, but a greater part of me remembered his pain in high school. That was not the normal pain people deal with day in and day out. He was hurt to the extreme. I couldn't see him like that again. I just couldn't.

"Want to play a game?" Alex asked. He waved a hand towards my gaming consoles.

"Yes," I said. I used the remote to turn on the t.v. while Alex got up to turn on the game console. He sat back beside me on the couch and handed me a controller. We selected a first person shooter game.