Chapter 62

Chet Watakeekul

"So. Do you want to meet them?" Dean asked Vincent.

All of us went silent as Heather came back and removed the empty plates. I understood why the cheeseburger was Dean's usual. The fries had been fine, but the burger had been delicious. Possibly one of the best cheeseburgers I'd ever had.

"I'll be right back with your check," she said to Dean.

"I can pay for ours," I said indicating me and Vincent.

"I'll pay for it," Dean said.

"Yes, hun," Heather said. "He can pay for it. It's the least he can do after accusing me of being a gossip. And you better give me a big tip."

Dean rolled his eyes, but Heather had already turned so she didn't see it.

"I don't know if I want to see them," Vincent said.

"It might be better if you don't," Dean said. "Jennifer left without looking back for a reason. And," his golden eyes fell on me, "they are racist and homophobic. But," his eyes went back to Vincent, "I only asked in case you wanted a better understanding of your mom."

Heather came back with the check and then left to help other customers. Dean put down some cash. It was enough to pay the bill and leave a generous tip. He slipped out of the booth and headed to the door. Vincent and I followed him.

"Bye, Sarah," he said to the hostess.

"Bye, Dean. Bye," she said to me and Vincent. I waved goodbye to her as we exited the diner.

"Yes," Vincent said as soon as we stepped outside into the cold air. Dean turned to look at him. Vincent slipped his hand in mine and squeezed tightly. "I want to meet my grandparents."

"Then I'll take you to them," Dean said. "Just remember you can leave at anytime. You aren't obligated to stay just because they are your mom's parents."

"Okay," Vincent said.

"I'll introduce you, but then I'm going to leave," Dean said. "As you can guess, I don't get along with them. You can come to my shop when you're done and we can talk some more if you want. I'll text you the address."

"Okay," Vincent said.

He got back on his bike while we got in my dad's car. I followed him through the small streets to a trailer park. It wasn't a nice one either. Most of the trailers and mobile homes inside were run down, broken, needed new paint, rusty. He parked in front of one of the trailers near the back of the park. There was a little stream nearby. It was the only nice thing in this place.

I looked over at Vincent. He was pale.

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"I think so," he said.

"We don't have to stay long if you don't want to. We can leave right now if you want." Dean turned his motorcycle off and stood up.

"Maybe this will help me understand why my mom chose money over me," Vincent said. I wiped the tear away as soon as it fell on his cheek.

"What are you doing here?" a harsh female voice croaked from the trailer door.

"Don't worry, I'll be leaving soon," Dean said.

Vincent took in a deep breath before he opened the door and stepped out of the car. I followed him. The woman had short, blond, messy curls. She wore a dull jacket that was zipped up all the way and black jogging pants.