Chapter 23

Vincent Kinsington

We each ordered a slice of pizza. I got a slice of the combo. Chet got a slice of the buffalo chicken ranch. We got our drinks and sat down at a table for two. It was crowded in here, but no one would be suspicious. We were just having lunch as friends. There were plenty of college students in here that were just friends.

I opened the contacts on my phone before I took a bite of the pizza slice. I wanted to know how he saved his contact info. I smiled. Favoritesoccerplayer. Well, he wasn't wrong.

"So why are you going into Entrepreneurship?" Chet asked. He took a bite of his pizza.

"So I can go into the family business," I said.

He thought about that deeper than I thought it warranted. I took a bite of my own pizza. It was delicious. This was probably the best pizza place in town.

Finally, Chet said, "Is that because you want to go into your family business or because your family wants you to?"

I shrugged. "They've always told me I'd go into the family business, but it's not like I don't want to."

"But would you rather do something else?"

I hadn't really thought about it. It might have seemed strange, but because I had been told all along that I would enter the family business, I never thought about anything else.

"Even if I didn't go into the family business, I think I'd still study Entrepreneurship. I think I'd like to start my own business if I didn't go into my family business."

He seemed more satisfied with that answer.

"So what is your family's business?" he asked.

"Kinsington Plastics."

He coughed over the root beer he had just swallowed.

"Are you all right?" I asked.

He nodded. "Your last name is Kinsington?"

"Yes."

"Your family's business is Kinsington Plastics?"

"Yes." A familiar sort of dread began to form in my chest. In the past, when people acted like this after finding out my family's business, they began to use me.

Chet's smile eased that dread. "My dad is a plant manager there," he said easily. "He always talks fondly of the owners. The founder and her son."

"My grandma and my dad," I said.

The smile disappeared from his face. "But your family told you all those horrible things. I thought they would be nice from how my dad speaks of them."

"My grandma is nice," I quickly said. "It's mostly my mom who says those things."

"I see," Chet said. He didn't seem too convinced though.

"Who is your dad?" I asked to get the subject off my family.

"Nate Watakeekul," Chet said. He watched me eagerly to find out if I knew his dad.

"I know him," I said. "The workers like him and my dad likes him and both of those things are hard to accomplish. He is a great plant manager."

Chet beamed at this. I could see the family resemblance now. He didn't look exactly like his father. I wouldn't see them and think of the other, but now that I knew, I could see the subtle similarities.

"Do you look more like your mom?" I asked.

"I've been told I resemble her more than my dad," he said. "Kannika - my sister - actually takes after my dad, but in a prettier, feminine way. Who do you resemble more? Mom or dad?"