Chapter 41

Vincent Kinsington

I slowly opened my eyes and turned to Chet. He was awake. He watched me from his pillow. His warm hand covered my chest.

"Good morning," he said.

I kissed him gently on the lips and then put my forehead to his. "You know," I said, "if you score a goal today you need to thank me later for letting you score with me last night."

He laughed and playfully shoved my shoulder, but then immediately pulled me close to him. "Deal," he said. He kissed me, but before it could get too heated he pulled away.

"Do you want to take me home this morning?" he asked.

"Right in front of your house?"

"No," he said, "around the corner. I don't think my family should see us together yet."

"You don't want to tell them about us? I'm okay with it now that Alex and Mateo know."

"My dad works for your dad. I don't want to take any chances yet that my family is the one to accidentally leak it to your family. I will tell them. Just not yet."

"Okay," I said. I was actually relieved we weren't telling his family yet. Mr. Watakeekul had always been nice to me, but he hadn't ever known me as Chet's boyfriend. I didn't know how he was going to respond to that and I was fine with putting it off for as long as I could.

We got up and got ready. When we were ready, we both stood just inside the door with our backpacks on.

"I'm going to miss you," I said, "but I hope your team does well."

He smiled at this. "Thank you," he said. "I'm going to miss you too."

I leaned down and kissed him savoring every moment. If they won the first game, they wouldn't be coming back right away. I dropped him off around the corner from his house without actually driving passed his house. We didn't kiss as he left because who knew if his nosey neighbor was watching from a window or something.

During my first class of the day, I kept watching the time on the phone until it was time for Chet's plane to leave. For lunch I met Alex at the pizza place.

"I hope they do well," Alex said in reference to Chet's and Mateo's team. "It's funny how nervous I am about it when I'm not the actual one playing. Do you want to come over tonight and watch the game?"

"Yes," I said. Watching the game with Alex and his mother would be better than me staying at home and trying to find where to watch it. Alex was good at finding those type of things.

"I told my mom last night that you and Chet were already dating. I think she was as happy as I was. She said again that you could stay with her if your family disowns you. She doesn't say it, but I think she's really going to miss me when I move out."

"Are you changing your mind about moving out?" I asked.

"No," Alex said. "I will miss my mom and I know she'll miss me, but it's not like I'm moving out of state. I'll still be in the same city. And I'm so excited about moving in with Mateo that it trumps everything else."

Alex moved so he sat next to me instead of across from me. He held up his phone in front of us. The screen said he was calling Trevon for a video call.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"We've got to tell Trevon you're dating Chet," he said.

I looked around to make sure no one heard him, but it was noisy in there and no one was paying any attention to us.