Chapter 72

Vincent Kinsington

The estate attorney's office was what I'd expected. The waiting area had leather chairs. On the coffee table was an assortment of muffins and fruit. Expensive looking paintings lined the walls. The place was immaculate with not one thing out of place and no speck of dirt or dust. I pulled Chet with me to the reception desk.

"I'm Vincent Kinsington," I said.

"Oh yes. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother," the woman behind the desk said. She didn't seem much older than us. "She was a great woman and loved by many. She always made me smile when she came in. The attorney asks that only immediate family hear the initial reading of the last will and testament. You may have a seat in the waiting area," she said to Chet.

He gave my hand a gentle squeeze before he let go. I watched him until he settled on one of the leather chairs. The receptionist led me back to a large office. Several chairs were set in front of a large desk. The man behind the desk stood up and came around the desk to shake my hand. His navy blue suit was pressed and perfect. His brown hair was coiffed professionally.

"You must be the youngest Kinsington," he said, "Vincent."

"Yes," I said.

"Please have a seat." I sat on one of the end chairs.

The attorney didn't go back to his seat. Instead, he sat on the corner of the desk in front of me.

"You're in college now, right?"

"Yes," I said.

"Margaret only had great things to say about you."

My throat started to close off as it always did whenever I thought of my grandma. Everyday jolted me with new unbearable pain when I remembered she was gone. I still dreamed that she was alive. There were times I reached for my phone to text her only to remember she wouldn't respond.

"She was a great woman," the attorney went on. "She is greatly missed."

"She is," I managed to say passed the hard lump in the back of my throat.

The attorney stood and looked to the door. It wasn't until then that I realized the receptionist had brought back Aiden, my dad and my mom. My dad frowned when he saw me, but he didn't say anything.

"Please, have a seat." The attorney went around to the other side of the desk. The receptionist closed the door when she left.

"Normally, we would just give you each a copy of the will, but Margaret thought there would be contention and wanted me to read out the will with all of you here so there wouldn't be any disputes." He picked up several papers off his desk and handed each of us a will.

A lot of it was legal jargon, but what it came down to was that Aiden inherited my grandma's shares in Kinsington Plastics. That meant Aiden now had more shares in the business than anyone else including our dad. My dad got everything else except for the house. The house went to me. My mom, not unexpectedly, got nothing.

Everything went still at the announcement that I got the house. I scanned the will not quite believing it until I saw it with my own eyes. I could feel my dad's eyes staring at me. Grandma left me the house. The house I hated. The house I had panic attacks in. Had she expected me to kick out my family and move in? Because that was not going to happen.

When everything was done, the attorney asked me to stay behind a moment longer. He walked the rest of my family to the door and then closed it behind them when they left. He sat on the corner of the desk like he had earlier.