Chapter 49

Chet Watakeekul

I pulled Vincent to the nearest bus stop and we sat on the bench. Vincent sank down low so that he could rest his head on my shoulder. I wrapped my arm around Vincent's shoulders.

"It's cold," he mumbled.

"Oh, yeah." I straightened and grabbed the extra jacket I had carried with me. I had placed it next to my backpack on the bench. "Your jacket." I handed it to him.

He seemed genuinely surprised as he took the jacket from me and put it on. "Thank you. How did you even think to grab this?"

"Your mom said as we left to take your jacket." I found it odd that she was motherly in that moment after just basically disowning her son.

"I wasn't paying attention," he said as he swung his feet up to rest on the bench, his knees bent up to the sky. He eased down and put his head in my lap. I placed my hand over his chest. His heartbeat was steady underneath the palm of my hand. His fingers began to play with mine.

"What were you going to say?" he asked quietly.

"When?"

"In the apartment when I looked at you. You had your mouth opened as if you were going to say something." He looked down at his fingers playing with my own as he said this, almost as if he were afraid to look into my eyes.

"I was going to say don't worry. That I was there for you."

He smiled. It was a strange smile. One I had never quite seen on him before and his eyes filled with moisture. I wondered if I had done or said something wrong to make him sad. Then he shifted so his head was buried in my stomach and his arms wrapped around my waist. He hugged me tight - so tight it actually hurt a little. I stroked his hair not quite sure what else to do.

"I was afraid you were going to break up with me in an attempt to keep me from losing my family," he said against my stomach.

I stiffened. "That thought never occurred to me. Is that what I should have done because honestly I don't want to do that. They are not good for you. I am."

He pulled away from my stomach, but just so his head could rest on my thighs again. "No," he said. "Please don't ever do that. It might sound strange, but I feel relieved. I've waited my entire life for them to kick me out and instead of feeling hurt or sad I feel free."

I smiled down at him and ran my fingers through his messy hair. He would be mortified if he knew what it looked like at this moment. I flattened it as best as I could so it looked at least decent. I liked his hair messy, but I didn't really want anyone else to see that look as it was how he looked in bed. I heard the bus before I saw it. "The bus is almost here," I said.

Vincent sat up and grabbed his backpack. I swung my own over my shoulder.

"Wait," Vincent said as the bus stopped in front of us. "I don't have money for the bus."

The bus door swung open. "You have your university I.D. don't you?" He nodded. "That's all you need," I said. "All university students get to ride the bus for free. Just put your card on the reader and everything is taken care of."

He pulled out his student I.D. and stared at it with new respect. He was adorable sometimes. I stepped up onto the bus first and put my card to the reader. I stepped forward, but looked over my shoulder just to make sure he had no problems imitating what I had just done. He didn't. We sat in the very last row and he slunk again so he could rest his head on my shoulder.