Chapter 63

Vincent Kinsington

After lunch, I parted ways with Chet and began my walk to my next class when my phone rang. I recognized the cafe's number. When I first started to apply to jobs and I got calls, I would get excited believing that it was a call to hire me, but after so many rejections I just felt dejected when I got the calls.

"Hello," I answered. I tried to make my voice sound pleasant instead of the trepidation I felt.

"Vincent. This is Jessica. I interviewed you last week."

"I remember," I said. "How are you?" My heart beat rapidly against my ribs.

"Good," she said. "I spoke with the head manager..."

This was where she was going to say I didn't get the job.

"...and he would like to interview you himself. Can you come in now?"

My feet stopped. I blinked a few times not quite believing what I heard. "Yes," I said. "I can come now." I didn't want to miss my class, but I really needed a job and this was the only place that had ever called me in for a second interview. "I can be there in about ten minutes."

"Great," she said. "See you then."

I sent a quick text to Chet to let him know. I didn't expect him to respond right away since he was in class, but my phone beeped to tell me I got a message soon after.

My Heart: That's great news. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

I smiled and rushed to the cafe. I steadied myself before I went in and took a deep breath. Jessica was behind the counter making some kind of coffee drink. I waited. She smiled at me to acknowledge she had seen me and then went back to the drink. When she finished, she grabbed another employee to take over for her.

"Hi, Vincent," she said as she walked over to me.

"Hello," I said.

"Come on back into the office," she said. "It's small, but that's where the head manager wants to talk to you."

I nodded and followed her to the back. The last time I had come, she had interviewed me at one of the tables in a quiet corner. She knocked on a closed door, but didn't wait for an answer before she opened it.

A man about my father's age sat at a cluttered desk. There was one chair in front of the desk. The man stood when we came in and stretched his hand out to me. I shook it.

"Vincent, it's nice to meet you," he said. "I'm Will." There wasn't another chair, but Jessica stayed in the room with us. She leaned up against the wall.

Will indicated I take the seat in front of the desk so I did. He sat down behind the desk.

"Jessica wanted to hire you right after your interview. When we called your references, they only said great things about you, but when we called your old employer..."

I swallowed hard.

"...they didn't have anything nice to say. In fact, they said you stole from them."

"I didn't," I said before thinking about it. I was so shocked anyone in Kinsington Plastics would say that.

"And then your brother called us and he confirmed what Kinsington Plastics told us."

My heart dropped. I had really hoped Aiden wasn't involved in this. My eyes pinched closed.

"You've got to understand that no matter how great your references say you are, they didn't actually work with you so we have to take into account what your past employer says."