Chapter 25

Alex

I pretended I was still working on the last problem of the general chemistry assignment. Mateo and I sat on his couch. To my disappointment there hadn't been any making out yet. I peeked over at Mateo's homework. He was still struggling with the last problem.

He was smart and excellent when it came to biology. He wouldn't have received a partial academic scholarship otherwise. Most of the time he breezed through general chemistry, but there were times where he would have problems with certain questions. This was the case now.

"I can help...," I started, but he interrupted.

"No thank you." He smiled at me, but it was one of his fake smiles he used when he didn't want me to know he was struggling with something. "I've got this. Easy."

It wasn't the first time he turned down my help. In fact, he had never accepted my help. It bothered me. A lot. I had told him about Jason when he had first expressed an interest in me because I wanted to be in a completely honest relationship. Mateo was always willing to jump in and help me whenever needed, but wouldn't let me reciprocate. I wanted to feel needed too.

I gave Mateo some slack though. This was his first relationship and we had been dating for only a few months. I knew he loved me and genuinely cared for me. He would open up to me eventually.

I put my homework and book back in my bag. There was only so much time I could fake working on that last problem.

"I'm done too," Mateo said. He put his homework on the little coffee table in front of the couch. I doubted he figured out the last problem, but I let it go. I was his boyfriend not his parent and he was an adult.

He leaned in immediately and kissed me. It was gentle at first. His lips were soft and warm. I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him closer to me. The kiss became more intense with our lips crashing together, moving together.

He leaned into me pushing me gently until my back was on the seat of the couch. He hovered over me, his body stretched out over me. I shifted so my legs were on either side of his hips.

Our kisses were now open mouth kisses. Then our tongues entwined and mingled. Our connection deepened and my arms around him tightened.

His lips broke away from mine. He kissed my jaw, trailed down my neck until he found the hollow spot that sent fire throughout me. A sound escaped my lips as he licked and sucked. Pleasure tingled through my entire being.

One arm grabbed his waist tighter while my other hand trailed down between us over the cloth of his shirt. I could feel his muscles beneath the cloth. My hand continued down over his pants and cupped the front of his pants. He backed away.

"We can't fool around that much," he said. He leaned in for another kiss, but I sat up and pushed him away.

"What's wrong, babe?" he asked.

"Tell me truthfully, Mat. Is it really because you made that promise with Gareth or because you don't want to sleep with me?"

He looked aghast that I could even ask something like that, but it seemed like a reasonable question to me. He was the one who always pulled away when things started to get heated. He was the one who made that promise to his roommate. Gareth told him he could break it anytime. And Gareth was right. I was frustrated.

"Is that what you think? That I don't want you?"

That wasn't it exactly. I knew he wanted me. His body didn't lie, but his head always made him pull away so maybe there was some unfathomable reason in his head he thought we shouldn't have sex. Maybe he thought I would break. Maybe he thought he wouldn't be good enough for me. Or maybe...maybe he held back because I already slept with Jason.