Chapter 61

Vincent Kinsington

Chet and I were in Nate's car as it sped down the freeway. Chet was driving. I had never seen him drive before even though I knew he could. I found myself watching him. I tried not to. I didn't want to make him nervous.

His handsome brown eyes flicked to me before going back to the road. "Why do you keep staring at me?" he asked.

"You're hot when you drive," I said.

The corner of his lips turned up into a smirk. "Does everything I do turn you on? Driving, brushing my teeth..."

"...playing soccer," I added. "Yes. Everything you do turns me on."

His eyes darted to me again before going back to the road. He shook his head, but there was a smile on his face. His right hand left the steering wheel and reached out for mine. I entwined our fingers.

"Are you nervous?" he asked.

My fingers tightened around his and I looked out at the leafless trees mingled with pine trees along the side of the freeway.

"I don't know how I'm supposed to feel," I said.

"You're not supposed to feel a certain way," he said. "You just feel what you feel."

I paused as I evaluated myself. "I guess I'm nervous," I said. "But also excited and scared at the same time."

His hand squeezed mine. And much too soon we were pulling off the freeway and into the diner parking lot where Dean had told us to meet him. We were ten minutes early. I looked around the parking lot as if I could recognize Dean's car, but I quickly realized that was silly. I had no idea what Dean was like. I had no idea what car he drove. He probably wasn't even there yet seeing how early we were.

"Are you ready?" Chet asked me. The car was turned off. His hand was on the door handle just waiting for me.

"No," I said, but I opened the door and stepped out into the cold air. At least there wasn't any snow at the moment.

Chet followed me and we stepped inside the diner.

"Two of you today?" the hostess asked us. She was already grabbing menus.

"There will be three of us," Chet spoke when I couldn't find my voice. "The other one is coming."

She grabbed another menu and led us to a booth. Chet slid in first and I sat next to him. The booth was next to a large window that looked directly out to the parking lot and the freeway beyond it.

I scanned the restaurant just to make sure I didn't see another pair of golden eyes. I didn't.

The waitress came up to us and said, "Can I get you two something to drink while you wait for the other person to join you?"

"Lemonade for me," Chet said.

"Me too," I said. "Thank you."

"Sure thing," she said, but then she stood there frozen when she saw my eyes. "I've only seen eyes like yours on one other person," she said.

I didn't know what to say to that, so I didn't say anything.

"Sarah," the waitress called over the hostess and I just wanted to crawl under the table and hide.

"Doesn't his eyes look like Dean's?"

"Yeah," Sarah said, "I didn't notice before. Are you related to him? Cousins maybe?"