Chapter 24: A Clipping Preformance With A Twist

"You promise you won't call me on stage or some shit, right?" I asked Daveed nervously as I pulled on my coat. It was the day of his Clipping performace, and he was singing the album "Wriggle". My personal favorite. "I don't want people knowing for sure we're together. We'll get so much backlash for that."

Daveed smiled, which made me internally melt. "Don't worry, I won't. Even if I do, I'll refer to you as 'my friend'."

"D o n ' t," I said. "People already know what happened between us, and I don't what them seeing me with you on stage."

"Okay, okay," Daveed said with a chuckle. He patted the pocket of his jeans. It looked like he was looking for something in there.

"What are you looking for?" I asked quizzically.

"Just my wallet. Wanted to be sure I had in just in case we wanted to stop for ice cream later."

That's when Rafa walked through the door (dunno why it was unlocked). "Yo. I'm here to watch your child while you two get to jam out."

Don't need to tell you why Rafa was at my house. He literally just said it.

I smiled at Rafa. "Thanks again for watching her."

"Anytime," he smiled. "You have some formula, right?"

I nodded. "Yep. I don't remember where I put it though, so you're gonna have to look for it."

"Cool! A shitty scavenger hunt!" Rafa said sarcastically.

"That's the spirit!" Daveed said. "Anyway, thanks for watching Sadie, don't kill her, and buh-bye." He then slipped out the door without another word.

I waved to Rafa and left the house as well.

***

A little while later, Daveed and I arrived at the theatre he would be preforming with Bill and Jonathan in. (Bill's real name is William, but for some reason, he goes by Bill. And if you didn't know, they're the producers of Clipping, and Daveed's the vocalist.)

Daveed parked the car, we got out, walked into the theatre, showed the guards that we weren't trying to slip backstage without authorization, and entered backstage ourselves. I would get to be watching the preformance from backstage, so I was pretty excited.

Bill and Jonathan were already there, patiently waiting for the time of the show to roll around. Daveed would be the only one onstage; they would be managing the playback of the music.

Thankfully, they knew about my and Daveed's relationship, so we didn't need to act like normal friends around them.

They heard us come in and looked up at us. "Hey, you two," Bill smiled. "How've you been?"

They knew about Sadie too, so we could vent to them about all of our child problems.

"Meh," Daveed and I both said in unison. "Sadie's teething, so she's drooling on everything possible," I grumbled.

"That sucks," Jonathan stated. "Has she cooled it with her crying, at least?"

"A little," I said. I glanced at my watch, and it was 2:00.

Showtime.

Daveed and I showed up late-ish so that we wouldn't have to wait for too long. (That should be the prequel for Black-ish.)

"It's time, babe," I said, looking up at Daveed. "Good luck."

Daveed smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Be prepared to be blown away by my wonderful rapping."

"I will," I said as I pulled apart.

Bill and Jonathan were pulling up the instrumental version of "Shooter", my favorite Clipping song of all time. "It's ready," Bill declared. "You're clear to go on stage."

Daveed nodded, went onto the stage (the audience applauded), he grabbed a mic, and Shooter began to play.

The preformance had begun.

***

So, basically, I jammed out backstage to Daveed singing the entire album of Wiggle. (The lyrics in the song "Wriggle" were a bit disturbing, to say the least, but I still enjoyed watching Daveed perform it.)

Then, before I knew it, the audience was applauding to the last song.

That went by fast, I thought to myself, waiting for Daveed to bow and then walk offstage.

He didn't. Instead, he said into the microphone that was attached to his head, "Thank you all for coming to this show. I had a blast performing for you."

The audience clapped, and Daveed waited for them to finish so that he could continue speaking.

Oh. This is gonna be one of those heartfelt speeches creators say to their fans. I smiled. Daveed'll be great at that.

"Anyways, in order to end this show off right," he turned, looked at me, and smiled, "I would like to welcome my girlfriend, (Y/N) (L/N) to the stage."

I froze up. I had told Daveed not to invite me onto the stage!

I anxiously looked at Jonathan, hoping he would tell me what was going on.

Instead of doing that, he smiled and gestured to the stage.

To my surprise, the audience began clapping. They were excitedly awaiting my artival! But...why..? I had hurt Jalene in a major way...had they forgiven me and Daveed for what we'd done..?

Then, anxiety pressing on my chest, I walked onto the stage, only making the crowd clap louder. I stood next to Daveed, not knowing what the hell was going on.

Daveed grabbed my hand, turned to face the audience again, and said, "I know what you all have heard about (Y/N) and me. And, I'll admit, it's true. We hurt a lot of people. This sounds like a shitty excuse for all the pain we caused people, but, we were in love. People in love will throw away everything, block out everyone else's feelings just to be with the one they love. To put it bluntly, people in love make stupid decisions. Which is why," Daveed paused, let go of my hand, pulled out a ring pouch from the pocket of his jeans, and knelt down in front of me, "I'm going to do this."

I, along with the audience, gasped. He was...proposing to me..! With thousands of people watching!

I covered my mouth with my hands, my eyes becoming two waterfalls. The audience was yelling excitedly.

Daveed opened the ring pouch, smiling up at me. "(Y/N) (L/N), you are the light of my life. I honestly don't know how I went so long without realizing that I need you in my life forever. But once I did, and we got together, you became so much more than a girlfriend. You became my addiction, my sunshine. I can't live without you, darling. I want you to be mine forever, until the day we die. I wanna grow old with you, and be forever connected. So, (Y/N)...

"Will you marry me?"