Chapter 26: Jalene Returns (Oh Boi)

As soon as Daveed and I entered our house, Rafa dashed up to us and was all smiles. "So? How'd it go? What'd she say?" The questions were directed at Daveed, but despite that, Rafa's eyes kept glancing between us two. He obviously knew about what Daveed had planned. And why wouldn't he? He was Daveed's best friend, after all.

   I smiled and showed Rafa my brand new ring, the band that proudly showed that I was committed to a relationship and that I would be getting married. "I said yes."

   Rafa gasped. "Yes! I was so hoping you guys would get married! You're so cute together! Diggs and Jalene didn't look half this cute when him and her were together!"

   Jalene was kinda a touchy subject for Daveed and I, so we both fidgeted uncomfortably.

   "Ah, touchy subject," Rafa said, obviously realizing his mistake. "I forgot. Sorry."

   Rafa had (still has) a bad habit of saying whatever was on his mind, even if it was hurtful or just plain uncomfortable to hear him say. But Rafa's flaws made him human, and I'd rather him be human than perfect. Perfect scares me to this day.

   "It's fine," Daveed reassured, waving Rafa off. "For the record..," he paused awkwardly before saying, "I agree with you."

I rolled my eyes, my face heating up slightly. "I do too..."

Rafa smiled at how in love Daveed and I were. "Well, I should probably leave. And Sadie's in the nursery, by the way. The formula I gave her made her very sleepy."

"Okay. Thanks for watching her," Daveed said with a smile.

"No problem, you two!" Rafa responded, smiling. "So I'll see you guys tomorrow, right?"

I squinted my eyes, trying to remember what me and Daveed were doing with Rafa the next day.

Daveed had a similar confused expression on his face, so Rafa sighed in annoyance. "We're doing 'Blindspotting' stuff. Writing more, making some decisions about the cast..? Any of this ring a bell..?"

Realization hit me and Daveed like a hammer hits a nail. "Oooooh," we both said at the same time. How could we have forgotten?

"Yeah, we'll see you tomorrow," I said with a smile. Rafa had previously said I could help with the cast, so I was excited to start making those decisions.

Rafa smiled and grabbed the doorknob, prepared to open the door and leave. But then...

There was a knock on the door.

Rafa turned to Daveed and I and raised an eyebrow, his hand still on the doorknob. "Are you guys expecting any visitors today?"

We both shook our heads. "No..," I said, wondering who was at my door.

"Hmm," Rafa said. "Since my hand is literally on the door already, I'll get it."

   And with that, Rafa pulled open the door, and everyone in the room literally stumbled backwards at who was at the door.

   I regained my balance first, swallowing nervously. "...Hey....Jalene..."

   Exactly who I wanted to see. Please note my sarcasm.

   Jalene's eyes narrowed a bit when she saw me. "Oh. (Y/N)."

   I honestly had expected a worse reaction, so I was pleasantly surprised with how she greeted me.

   Rafa and Jalene were still chill, since he had nothing to do with my and Daveed's scandal. "Oh, hey, Jay. What brings you here?"

   Daveed slowly began to slide into the kitchen, me following him. I did not wanna have an awkward conversation with his ex.