Chapter 27: Again?

Time passed, and Sadie was all of a sudden one year old. How? I have no idea. Time flies when you're living your dream.

It was June 20th yet again, and Daveed and I were gonna invite some friends over to celebrate the birthday of my little shrimp.

Sorry, our little shrimp.

But the day of the party, I woke up to two things:

One: Daveed's arms around me as he nuzzled into my neck and breathed steadily.

And two: I felt the need to throw up.

Wow, great timing, immune system. I totally owe you one.

Gagging, I tried to push Daveed away, but he only held me closer, kissing my head. "Stay here, baby..," he whispered. "There's no need to rush into getting up. You and I can snuggle..."

Barely managing to swallow the vomit that was traveling up my throat, I choked out, "Daveed, I have to throw up. If you don't let go, my stomach acids are gonna be all over you."

Daveed then let out a feminine scream and released me, curling up into a ball on the opposite side of the bed.

I let out a grateful sigh and made my way over to the toilet bowl as quick as the Flash. As soon as I got there, the stomach acids that wanted to get out of me were pouring out of my mouth like a waterfall into the toilet.

When I was done puking, I groaned and rested my head on the cool porcelain of the toilet.

Daveed came into the bathroom and looked at my helpless body with pity. "Well, your immune system sure knows how to time getting sick..."

I nodded, brushing my hair out of my eyes. "I know, right? I think we're gonna have to cancel the party. I feel like crap."

Daveed's expression suddenly changed from sympathetic to nervous.

I looked at him quizzically. "What?"

He stared at me for a moment, then said slowly, "What if you're not sick?"

It took a second or two for his words to sink in. And when it does, I sigh. I wasn't planning on becoming pregnant again, but if I was, I'd be pretty happy. Sadie was turning out fine, so why wouldn't our other baby? "So, you think I'm pregnant, then?" I asked Daveed.

He shrugged slowly. "I dunno. You remember the last time you threw up like this, right?"

He had a point. I hardly ever threw up. But that didn't mean it wasn't possible for me to have the flu. "You're right. Should I buy a test?"

Daveed nodded. "Yeah." He smiled. "And if you are pregnant, I'll..," he paused. "I'll actually be happy. The only reason I asked so nervously is because I didn't know how you would react."

I smiled at Daveed. "I'll be happy too." I stood up, brushed myself off, and said, "I'm gonna get ready, okay? Then I'll run to the store and grab a test."

Daveed nodded. "Sounds good."

So then I did everything I said I was going to.

***

I tapped my foot as I stared at the pregnancy test I had in my hand. I was waiting for the results to come in, and I wasn't as nervous as I was when I waited for the test to tell me whether or not Sadie was present in me. In fact, I was kinda hoping that I would have another child.

Then, the results were in.

I was pregnant.

Again.

I smiled, and I was shocked to find that happy tears were rolling down my face. I never knew that I wanted another kid that badly...

   I chuckled and decided to tell Daveed I was pregnant in the most ridiculous and hilarious way possible.

   I burst through the bathroom door and flew into the living room where Daveed was sitting, yelling, "GUESS WHO'S PREGNANT, BITCH—"

   Daveed flinched at my yelling and looked up at me. "Geez, why are you being so l—" He cut himself off, realizing what I had said. "Wait. You're pregnant..?"

   I nodded, smiling and opening my arms for a hug. "Indeed I am. Our family is growing, Dav."

   Daveed laughed breathlessly, happy tears in his eyes. I guess we both didn't realize how bad we wanted another kid. He hugged me, and I hugged him back. "You better not be fucking with me—" he said.

   "I'm not," I said with a small laugh. "I swear I'm not..."

   Daveed pulled apart, staring deep into my eyes. He smiled. "Our kids are gonna grow up to be the most kick-ass people ever..."

   I giggled, looking into his eyes as well. "I agree." I looked down at my engagement ring. "...I just realized...we haven't really done anything to plan our wedding."

   Daveed smiled. "Well, we should get on that." He cupped my face and whispered, "I can't wait for you to become Mrs. Diggs..."

   "I can't either," I responded, leaning into Daveed's hand.

   That's when the doorbell rang.

   Crap. I had totally forgotten that Oak, Renèe, Lin, Jasmine, and, of course, Rafa were coming over for Sadie's birthday.

   "Ah. Them," I simply said as Daveed took his hand away from my face. I smiled excitedly. "Should I tell them?"

   Daveed nodded. "Yeah, definitely."

   I smirked and skipped over to the door, pulled it open, and shouted, "GUESS WHO'S PREGNANT?" to the scared people standing outside of my house.

   They, like Daveed, flinched. "Ow, my e—" Rafa began, but said after, "WAIT A MINUTE."

   Jasmine gasped. "Oh my God, again?! That's great!"

   Renèe smirked. "They really can't keep their hands off each other..."

   I blushed. "That's beside the point, Renèe..."

   Without waiting for permission, the whole gang I had invited over for Sadie's birthday flooded into the house, bombarding me and Daveed with questions and words of congratulations.

   I rested a hand on my stomach and looked at Daveed.

   He was looking at me also, smiling.

   We hadn't even met this baby, and we already knew it was gonna be a delight to raise. Sadie for the most part was. And we were gonna be getting married, too...

   I had thought my life was already perfect.

   But it was about to get even more perfect.