Chapter II - Tenth Prince's Birthday - Part I (Revised)

That night, when Ruo Lan was embroidering the pictures of two prancing ponies in a white silk handkerchief, I pestered her with my thoughts about the Eighth Bei'Le.

"Let's go horse riding with him! I'm sure it'll be fun. He seems like a gentle and kind man. He knows what we need even though we didn't mention it. I'm sure he can take care of the household and you well. You shouldn't be so cold to him. Why do you treat him like that?"

"Aaargh." Blood oozed out of Ruo Lan's finger as she accidentally pricked the needle into her flesh. She wore that faraway look on her face before calling to her maidservant, "Dong Yun, bring me to the meditation chamber." She left without looking back.

"Did I say something wrong? Or is there something wrong between them? Or is it something to do with horses?" I asked Qiao Hui without a pause.

"I dare not make blatant guesses on how Master and Madam think, Second Miss."

"Oh, whatever!" I dismissed her and went to my chamber. I was certain that, with my detective skills, I would be able to find out the reason for their relationship downfall before I carried out an appropriate scheme for my next accident. The Fourth Prince's face flashed across my mind, and his words rang in my ears. I warn you, if you are tired of living and are truly looking for death, I will not pull the rein the next time I see you. Would he really be that ruthless?

I shrugged. I shouldn't put my life in others' hands. I'm the navigator of my life, I assured myself.

With a determined nod, I blew out the lantern and covered my face with the silk blanket, only to find myself kicking it away after one minute. The night was intolerably hot, after all. It seemed that suffocating myself with the blanket to force my soul out wasn't a good plan.

Time scurried away like the fluffy clouds in the sky. It had been two months since I woke up from the accident. Every day, I saw the princes hurrying in and out, discussing state affairs with the Eighth Bei'Le. The Tenth Prince often dropped by the South House, and we had begun to knit a strong friendship. He graced me with delicacies from the palace in each visit. I could never remember their names, but I would never forget their scrumptious taste.

However, though I had visitors daily, I still felt hollow inside.

It was the emptiness of not being able to contribute anything to the household. I didn't know how to stitch embroidery on the handkerchief without tearing the fabric. I didn't know how to play the seven-string zither without driving the maids crazy. I didn't know how to write the calligraphy without smearing the parchments. I did nothing but eat and sleep, until the House was ready to organize a festive celebration.

In a fine morning, Qiao Hui and I strolled at the garden, discussing our plans.

"Qiao Hui, the Tenth Prince's birthday is around the corner. We're assigned to organize this festival. We must think of some agendas which are different than the previous years."

"I believe that the Tenth Prince will be glad for whatever surprises that Second Miss prepares for him. Both of you are best friends. He even appoints us to be the host. Second Miss, for the past few years, his birthdays were held in the North House. Everyone assumes that Madam is not being loved by the Eighth Bei'Le. Even the servants in the kitchen are reckless in serving Madam. Now that you have come, you have helped us win some favour from the princes."

"Life within this household is so harsh. The Gorolos always find their chances to cause us troubles. I can't imagine how life in the palace will be, with three thousand concubines dogging for the emperor's love. I'm glad that the Tenth Prince is so much different than the others. He's not snobbish and not austere. He never seeks attention and he's straightforward in his speech. This type of person is the best candidate to be friends with."