Chapter XII - The Boat Rowing (Revised)

The next day, Ice Face was playing chess with the Eighth Bei'Le and One Sided in a pavilion. They were laughing as if they were children with no worries. Sometimes, I really couldn't guess what the princes were planning in their minds. I should feel relieved and happy if their relationship was good, but knowing that the jubilance was an act of hypocrisy, I shuddered. The Eighth Bei'Le kept peeking at me from the corners of his eyes but I ignored him.

I was serving them chamomile tea when a white puppy ran into the pavilion. I couldn't resist myself and bolted forward to pat it as it was too adorable. I remembered it as a pet of a concubine. Scooping it up and hugging it, I asked for my leave in order to bring it back to its owner. When I walked past Ice Face, I caught him smiling. I returned the gesture but suddenly I found the Eighth Bei'Le staring at me with a sullen look. I furtively bowed to the princes and left. As I walked into a garden, I heard a loud panting and heavy footsteps.

"Ma'ertai Ruo Xi, what do you really want?"

I turned around and wasn't surprised to see One Sided.

He continued to reprimand me, "You know that Eighth Brother loves you, and I know that you love him too. But why did you flirt with Fourth Brother just now?"

"I didn't flirt--"

"I saw the way both of you looked at each other. It was filled with--"

"Stop lecturing me about what I should do and what I should not. You are not me! You will never understand me." I scowled at him before stomping away. Damn that One Sided! He'd caused me to lose all my grace. After returning the puppy to one of the emperor's concubines, I returned to my house, with my nostrils still angry enough to breathe fire.

After that incident, the Eighth Bei'Le didn't talk to me at all, but I could often hear the maidservants whispering about us. Whenever they saw me, they would drop the discussion and resume their work. Even Ruo Lan had come to me, asking me to get married to the Eighth Bei'Le. She ensured me that he was a man who would never let me down. 

Day after day, week after week, month after month, time passed away. I knew my decision and our marriage depended on one answer only. Winter almost came to an end when I invited the Eighth Bei'Le out. I knew we could no longer dilly-dally on this matter.

I stood by the bank of a still lake which was frozen with ice. My heart churned up in a disturbing turmoil, creating a stark contrast with the tranquil nature. Grasping my hem in uneasiness, I asked, "This is your final chance. Can you agree with my request?"

"Why do you want to force me?" He frowned as he roared at me, "Why do you want to force me to choose while I can achieve greatness in both matters?"

I couldn't meet his eyes as I repeated my question, "Can you agree with my request?" 

I waited for him to provide me the answer, to tell me that he was willing to give up everything for our future, but he just stood there, glaring at me. Feeling dejected, I said, my voice shaky, "You've chosen not to agree with me. I can't help you anymore in quenching your thirst for the throne, but I can advise you. From today onwards, you have to keep an eye on the Fourth Prince. From today onwards, you are only my brother in law."

I ran past him in order to prevent my tears from streaming down in front of him. He yelled after me but I didn't look back. Somehow, I felt relieved since he didn't run after me. It would make this farewell an impossible task. I continued to traipse through the snow drifts. My feet and heart sank deeper every time I moved and suddenly, I tripped over a log. I could no longer restrain my tears. They fell down as images of the Eighth Bei'Le zoomed past the thicket of trees. His ringing laughter reverberated around my mind. Please, don't hold me back, I shouted inwardly at those memories. I was howling and pelleting the snow with my numb fists when I heard footsteps.