Chapter IX - Horse Riding Again - Part I (Revised)

No birthday gift was as good as seeing my sister. After knowing that it was the Eighth Bei'Le's idea, my heart bloomed like the blossoms design that I was drawing on the parchment.

Ruo Lan watched me draw the design with admiration and contentment. "Ruo Xi, you have changed so much. I am sure you have learned a lot in the palace."

"Sister, you're laughing at me." I rose from the chair and hugged her. "I miss my carefree days in the Eighth Bei'Le's house. Those were my happiest days in the Qing--" I almost let slip the words Qing Dynasty but held my tongue. I didn't want to ruin this special moment with any confusion.

Ruo Lan stared at me with immense curiosity and concern. "You are not happy in the palace?"

"Well, I can't say that I'm not happy there. The emperor has been kind to me. It's just..." I went to sit on the wood chaise lounge and shockingly, couldn't find any words to suit my feelings.

Ruo Lan came to sit beside me and said in a more cheerful tone, "You have someone whom you admire now?"

"Didn't you caution me not to think of such matters? It's not that we have the freedom to choose who to love."

"I said that because you had to go through the Maiden Selection at that time. I was afraid that if you had someone whom you admire but the emperor would bestow you to the one you do not like or would take you as his consort. But now five years have passed, and I notice that the emperor himself does not have any romantic feelings towards you. That is why I ask you now."

I hugged my arms together. How could I tell her that the one whom I admire was her husband?

Ruo Lan grabbed my hand all of a sudden and pulled up my sleeve. She stared at the Phoenix Blood Jade and smiled, "You are still wearing it! Ruo Xi, if you like the Thirteenth Prince, you have to voice out. You have earned great adoration from the emperor now, I am sure he would bestow you a marriage that you like. Though the Thirteenth Prince is indignant--"

"Sister, you've misunderstood." Ruo Lan didn't know that the Phoenix Blood Jade was given by the Eighth Bei'Le. She saw me often mingle with Die Hard Thirteen and had mistaken the bangle as a present from him. I had to correct her in order to prevent unwanted misunderstanding again. "Thirteenth Prince is my close friend who often shares the same viewpoints with me. Both of us don't have any romantic feeling towards one another."

"How about the Tenth Prince? Ahh, you have to be the second concubine in that case. With your die-hard attitude, I am certain that you will not yield to her... Hmm... How about the Fourteenth Prince? Even though both of you always argued, but I can feel that he is sincere to you."

I chuckled. "Sister, do you want to tie the knot for me with all the princes? I am fine. Don't worry about me. How about you? How are things between you and the Eighth Bei'Le?"

"I do not hate him, but I will never forgive him." Ruo Lan's nose reddened.

I was about to comfort her when Consort Liang's servant heralded us. Consort Liang would like to see the designs I drew for her. When she took the parchments, her eyes landed on my bangle. A look of comprehension rode across her face but she kept her realization to herself. Embarrassed, I put my hand behind my back. She smiled as if nothing had happened. After choosing the design she wanted me to embroider onto the handkerchief, she dismissed me.

I walked halfheartedly to the Hall of Justice and Honour.

The princes had just finished meeting with the emperor. I followed the Eighth Bei'Le from behind, using the pillars to shield me from being noticed. Suddenly, he halted his steps and looked around. I quickly ducked. When he saw no one was around, he smiled faintly to himself and strode away. I watched his back with a heart that weighed like a lead ball.