Chapter VII - Dark Voodoo Doll (Revised)

We didn't make it to the palace on time.

Mid-way, when we were resting in one of the emperor's courtyard homes, the Eighth Bei'Le's herald reached us again. The emperor's hands shook like frail branches, and tears leaked out of his eyes as he read the letter. The young Eighteenth Prince didn't survive the fever after all. Fat droplets of tears dropped on the yellow parchment, as the emperor read it over and over as if hoping that he could find a word that would tell him everything was just a joke.

I walked towards him, placing a teacup on the table next to his lounge. He watched the steaming drink without interest. His seemingly grey eyes, misted by tears and cataract, unfocused as he slouched, bearing a melancholy expression. He was in his middle years now. It pained me to see him like this, as I foresaw strings of crestfallen news would engulf him, like the cruel greys that had begun to speckle his hair and beard, when he was at his weakest state.

Together with Herald Lee, we waited by the side of the door so that we could treat the emperor's needs immediately. Our subordinates stood guard outside to prevent the emperor from being disturbed. The princes were sent back as the emperor didn't want to meet anyone.

But Ice Face was a persistent one. Quietly, he summoned me to have a few words with me.

In seconds, my heart transformed into the usual seething cauldron, brewing with those magical ingredients called aversion, suspicion, and a kind of emotion that I couldn't quite find the best word to describe it. I bit my lip as images of the night when he kissed me crossed my mind. I tried to shatter the memory as this wasn't the right time to think about it, but it appeared to be so vivid as if I was watching a high definition scene.

"Ruo Xi," Ice Face spoke gently, "could you express my concern to my father? He might have a body made of steel, but the pain of losing a son would weaken him. I am worried about him." 

I nodded and after he walked away, I returned to the room.

Kang Xi Emperor didn't speak or look at me at all. He lamented in his own grief for hours, until he finally lifted up his head. "Yin Xie was very intelligent, just like the Crowned Prince. He was only seven years old but he already possessed wise thinking. He always drew pictures and wrote poems to please me. I have many children, but not many are close to me."

"Eighteenth Prince had gained Your Majesty's pride and love, he--"

I wanted to console the emperor but he lifted up his hand, indicating that he knew what I was about to say. He shook his head in a defeated way before continuing, "The Crowned Prince could memorize all the philosophies when he was only four. He was an orphan since he was an infant. His mother passed away a few days after he was born. I promised Empress Xiao Cheng Ren to bring him up and coach him by myself, but he... his behaviour becomes more and more..."

The emperor shook his head again and buried his forehead into his palm. The tea placed on his table was untouched, so I ordered my subordinate to replace it. The emperor had so much to bear but he couldn't just express it. As the ruler of the kingdom, he couldn't show his weak side.

The room returned to its solemn silence when suddenly a commotion broke out from the outside. "You cannot enter, Crowned Prince. The king--"

"Go away! I am the Crowned Prince. No one can stop me." He pushed open the door and stormed in. His face was aggressive but as he saw the emperor glaring at him, he quickly knelt on the floor. "Father, please do not have my title stripped off. I am the Crowned Prince. You brought me up by yourself. I am the future ruler of the kingdom. You cannot--"

"Get out!" The emperor was so irate that he had one hand gripped on the chair's armrest, while the other clutched tight to his chest. His face reddened but his lips ashen as the Crowned Prince continued to bellow in an amok way. The emperor shouted again, "I said get out!"