Chapter I - The Fateful Accident - Part IV (Revised)

Dong Yun led us to the reception chamber, where Ruo Lan was bowing grievously before a woman in a lilac silk gown. The peonies on her golden fillet were bigger than Ruo Lan's. She smirked at me as I tore into the chamber. Her blood red lips made her look like an evil witch.

She was the first wife of the Eighth Bei'Le -- Gorolo Ming Hui.

"I was the one that had sneaked out," I yelled at her, disregarding her status. "I will be responsible for my actions. Don't be so wicked and punish the innocent."

"You call me wicked?" Her voice came in slow but menacing, like the hissing of a snake. At first, she frowned at me, and then she smirked again. "I cannot wait to punish you."

She slithered to me and was about to slap me when Ruo Lan yanked her hand away. "Please punish me instead. I am elder but I did not educate her well."

"Alright, since you asked for it!" Wicked Witch spun around and landed her foot in Ruo Lan's belly, sending Ruo Lan reeling to a chair.

I lunged at the witch to avenge Ruo Lan's pain, panting as I said, "If my sister has to be punished for my wrong-doing, then you will have to take the blame too. As the first wife, you didn't take care of the household well enough." It took several rounds of arms scratching and hair grabbing before we all plopped down on the marble tiles, exhausted.

Wicked Witch stood up with the help of her maidservant. "I will punish you accordingly, you ungrateful street rat." She harrumphed before storming away.

"Sister, are you OK?" I tried to help Ruo Lan up but she pushed me away. Feeling dejected, I said, "Look, I'm sorry for my behaviour. You can scold me, but please don't turn your face away from me." While she didn't speak, I continued, "That witch did this intentionally to us. You should've fought for your rights. Why did you yield before her?"

"Ruo Xi, mind your tongue. We have to know our status. We are no longer ladies that can run freely in the wide grassland. Soon, you will be summoned to enter the palace. I expect you to behave better." She turned to her maidservant. "Dong Yun, bring me to my chamber."

That night, I was grounded, confined to my bedroom. I didn't see Ruo Lan until the next morning. The House where we were residing, the South House, broke into life as servants running here and there, preparing for some errand. Qiao Hui told me that the Eighth Bei'Le would be coming to our House for lunch. Before I could carry out my usual morning stroll in the garden, I was being sent back to my chamber for proper dress-up.

Seven pieces of silk garments were all it took to send me jumping around the dining hall, yelling "Hot! Hot! Hot!" Ruo Lan sat patiently beside me. Her lips were pursed thin, and her eyes seemed to have wandered to the Faraway. I excused myself to the water closet but found myself winding into the garden. By the time I was standing next to the bamboo groves, the powder on my face had already melted so I dabbed my sleeve on it.

"Why are you crying?" A gentle male voice startled me.

I peeped from under my sleeve and saw a man in a sky blue silk gown standing before me. A look at the golden circular design in the middle of his gown and the green Jade ornaments clasped on his belt was all it needed to inject some sense into my brain.

I quickly bowed. My knees bent slightly as I put my hands to the left of my body, saluting him in a way according to the royal manner. "Good day, Eighth Bei'Le."

"Rise. You must be Ruo Xi," he said with a smile in his voice and handed me a white silk handkerchief. Faint crow's feet extended from the edge of his eyes but that made him more... manly. Still smiling, he asked, "Why are you crying, Ruo Xi?"

"I-- I feel hot." I stuttered and then I hiccuped. I hadn't stuttered and hiccuped for a long time. Heat rushed through my veins. My heart galloped like a stallion as I stole a look at him from behind the handkerchief stitched with two pink fluttering butterflies.

He was a stout man with a healthy bronze skin tone. He had a sharp nose and his facial features were well contoured. Unlike the Fourth Prince who looked stern, or the Tenth Prince who was so impish, or the indignant Die Hard Thirteen, the Eighth Bei'Le portrayed a sense of maturity and congeniality. My face turned scarlet as he continued beaming at me.

"Come, let us go inside." He led me to the dining hall.

We had lunch together with the Tenth and Thirteenth Prince. The Eighth Bei'Le informed Ruo Lan that our father was doing well in the Northwest. Ruo Lan merely nodded. The day went by without many happenings, but the night was intolerable.

When I retired to my chamber, I tore off all those heavy layers, leaving only my undergarments.

I'd die soon of heat if I stayed here any longer. I want air conditioning! I want ice-cream! My brain protested. The surroundings were so quiet. I was used to listening to the droning of generators and the honking of vehicles. Hearing nothing but the twittering of cicadas, I reached a decision.

The next morning, I tiptoed out of the house.

All I needed to do was find a horse that would run over me so that the collision would incite my soul to flow out of my head. Standing beside the brick pathway, I closed my eyes and listened. It didn't take long when I heard the familiar clip-clop. Go back, die, or become crippled? The volume was gaining its intensity as the horse galloped closer. When I was certain that the rider wouldn't have time to stop the horse, I jumped to the middle of the pathway.

The eerie neighing of the horse pierced the morning sky. My mouth kissed something and I waited. Something wet slipped into my lips but nothing happened. I opened my eyes to see the horse licking my face. Shocked, I stumbled backward and saw the familiar stern face.

"It's you again!" I frowned at the ice-faced Fourth Prince.

From behind him, came Die Hard Thirteen. As usual, he reprimanded me for my discourteous manner before offering to ride me home. Ruo Lan was waiting at the reception chamber, knitting a handkerchief. When she saw me limping, she darted towards me to support me. I lied to her that I had sprained my ankle in the garden, and thankfully the princes aided me. Ruo Lan expressed her gratitude before leading Die Hard Thirteen to meet the Eighth Bei'Le.

Ice Face glared at me. "You were attempting suicide?" His tone was accusing and he held my eyes without blinking. "You heard my horse and you jumped out."

"That was an accident," I retaliated with an indignant intonation.

"The first time was an accident. I warn you, if you are tired of living and are truly looking for death, I will not pull the rein the next time I see you."

"I-- I did this because I want to live! You don't know the hardship I've gone through!"

I didn't know why I would reason with him. He stared at me and without uttering a word, he left.

At that instant, I realized that I disliked him.

Edited by YvonneKindle