3 ~ Join the Club

~3~

~

I felt like hours had passed since Tony Stark had left. I didn't usually wear a watch, and tonight was nothing different. I tried counting the seconds at one point, but doing that just made the anxiety more apparent. The kick the alcohol had given me had simmered down, and all that was left was a nasty headache and shaky fingers.

I had tried reliving that moment multiple times now. But all that I could see was Stark's beam in my face and Emily pulling her hand from mine. Everything in between was blank.

"Louise, there's someone who'd like to speak to you."

I looked up from my spot on the ground. Steve Rogers was standing in the door opening with a sad smile. His face and demeanour calmed me, and the way he used my first name made me feel like there was nothing to worry about.

"Is Emily..."
I started, unable to finish.

"She's okay. A little shaken, but fine. Your friend's worried about you, you know."
Captain America's usual powerful demeanour was nothing compared to the man who stood in front of me now. His expression was comforting, caring even.
"Don't underestimate your friendship."

I muttered a thank you, not really convinced.

"I'm gonna let him in now, okay?"
I nodded and he stepped aside, letting someone past.

That calm feeling left immediately.

"Ms. Sado, my name is Nick Fury, I'm S.H.I.E.L.D.'s director. I'm here to have a word with you."

I felt my heart beginning to race as he sat down in the chair on the opposite side of the table, instead of standing like Stark did. Did he really just want to talk?

"Have a seat. You're safe."

While his voice wasn't alarming, everything else about him screamed 'unsafe'. The one eye he had stared at me like he was talking to a criminal, and his lips were pressed against each other in a thin line. His expression was cold.

I sat down on the chair.

"Can you tell me what happened?"

I tried swallowing the lump in my throat. I failed.

"I was... We were..."
I started, trying to keep my head clear. I couldn't.

"Ms. Sado,"
Fury put his hand on the table, almost reaching out for me. It seemed caring. He probably wasn't.
"Can I show you a video?"