4 ~ Trust is a Fickle Thing

~4~

~

The time was still vague for me. While I knew the sun had risen around 7, I could only guess how long we had been flying. The noise above me filled my ears, making me unable to think clearly about what was actually happening to me. My brain being incapable of processing events seemed to have become a regular thing this night.

I stole a glance at the agent. While his lips weren't forming his smile, his eyes still looked happy. I wondered how he was this positive. Actually, I wondered who he even was at all.

"So, why do we get the honour of making use of a private helicopter?"
I broke the silence, still looking at the man. While I knew Fury was the director of their agency, I hoped directing the question to the sidekick helped me get to know him.

He shrugged, slightly startled by my attention.

"Government agency, remember? That guy has so many privileges, you have no idea."
The grin reappeared as he nodded at his boss. And although he didn't answer the way I wished he had, I was satisfied.

"You must be pretty important..."
It was more of a statement, but both men nodded. Then Fury's phone rang.

He excused himself and cautiously walked to the back of the space, talking silently. The agent watched him for a second and then scooted closer to me. He held out his hand.

"Phil Coulson."

I stared at his hand for a second, uncomfortable. Memories of the strange energy I had felt and Emily's horrified reaction rushed through my mind and I shook my head, stuttering slightly.
"I... I probably shouldn't."

An apologetic look crossed his face, quickly pulling his arm back.
"Right."

"I'm Louise."

He nodded.
"I know."

Another one of the countless silences that morning followed. I awkwardly stared at my hands in my lap, and then picked up a few words of Fury's conversation.

"Yes, we are. No... What? No! ... You can't let him."
He paused to listen.
"Are you listening to me? He's a goddamn... Of course you can't stop him. ... That doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything about it."

Another pause. Coulson looked at me for a second, chuckling at his boss's harsh language and unreasonable logic.

"Just fix it, Hill. I've got enough to deal with."
Then he hung up. Fury turned around, looking true to his name with the angered expression on his face. His eye studied the two of us as he walked back to his seat.