⌞prologue⌝

DINNER WITH REGINALD HARGREEVES WAS NEVER PLEASANT.
The children would sit around the table, unable to talk or making any sudden movements for the duration of the meal. Number 9 particularly hated this rule. Her and her brothers Number 5 & 6  had made a discreet sign language to talk with during dinner. Their father had yet to notice the series of blinks and knocks and smiles, so they continued. The children, Numbers 1 to 9 has been given their names by Reginald when he adopted them. See, this was where the story began. On the 1st of October, 1989, 43 children were born. The only difference about these children from every other child born of every other day of the year, was that none of the mothers was pregnant when the day started. When Reginald Hargreeves heard about this, he set out to find and adopt as many of these children as he could. He got 8 of them. And named the 1 to 9. See, ever since Reginald was a child, he had found that the number 8 was incredibly unlucky. So, he named the children Number 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 9. After having adopted them, it turned out that all of these children had special abilities of some sort.
He used this to his advantage, and created The Umbrella Academy.

The dinner Number 9 was sitting in was incredibly boring. The usual. That was until Number 5 angrily stabbed his knife into the table. "What is it, Number 5?" Reginald tried to keep his voice calm, but you could hear the irritation laced through it. "I want to time travel. I don't get why I can't!" Number 5 was angry, and you could tell.
"We've talked about this, 5. You're not ready." Five got up and a
Space-jumped around Reginald. "Look! I can space-jump, and I've been learning about time travel for the longest ti-"
"No! You are not time travelling!" Reginald spoke his words firmly and clearly. 5's face screwed up. His eyes squinted, and he turned around and broke into a run. Immediately, 6 & 9 got up and ran after him. "5! Come back!" But 5 didn't come back. He didn't so much as turn around. 9 turned around and looked at 6. They shared a pitiful look for a couple of seconds, before 9 fell to her knees and started sobbing.
She didn't care that her navy uniform would get dirty. Hot tears fell onto her cheeks as 6 wrapped his arms around her. Her small frame was engulfed in 6's gentle embrace. "What if he doesn't come back?"
"He will, 9. He will."