⌞one⌝

IT HAD BEEN 13 YEARS AND NOTHING HAD CHANGED.
Mostly everything in Number 9's life had stayed the same. 5 still hadn't returned, her family was still perfectly dysfunctional, but things had also changed as much as they stayed the same. They had gotten a robotic mother- Grace, They had been given Names- 1 was called Luther, 2 was called Diego, 3 was called Allison, 4 was called Klaus, 5, since he hadn't returned didn't have a name, 6 was called Ben, 7 was called Vanya, and 9 was called Lara. Things had started going well for the Umbrella Academy, but then they started getting terrible again. Ben died in a terrible accident during a mission,5 wasn't returning, and everyone was getting older. Except for 9. When 5 left, Lara started misbehaving. Having tantrums, fits, so Reginald started suppressing her growth. Drugging her, stopping her from getting sunlight. Giving her medications that was supposed to "help her condition", but were instead doing the opposite. For 17 years, Lara Hargreeves was trapped in her home, training her abilities, learning. Forever 13.
Lara was in her room one night, when Pogo- the trusty gorilla butler the Hargreeves had, came bursting into the room. "Lara," he started, getting her attention. "It's your father, he- he just- he had a heart attack." Lara's breath hitched in her throat. "Have you called an ambulance?" Pogo sighed and looked at Lara's young face.
"Lara, there's no need. He's already dead."

Lara had spent hours trying to contact her siblings, while the pathologists ran the autopsy test. Klaus was just getting out of rehab, Diego was always working, Vanya was at orchestra rehearsals, Allison was on the red carpet, and Luther- the only one who responded, was on the moon. She had left messages, and soon it was all over the news. Due to this, everyone found out, and hurried off to the Academy.
Vanya was the last to arrive. "Vanya?" Lara whispered, standing on the stairs I front of the entrance. Vanya soun around and looked at Lara. "Oh god. I'm so glad you came." Lara walked over to her and hugged her tightly. "I've missed you, Van." Vanya sighed and smiled into Lara's shoulder.
"I missed you too, L."
"She shouldn't be here. Not after what she did." Lara turned around to see her brother, Diego, standing on the stairs.
"Shut up, Diego. It's not like anybody wants you here either." Diego huffed and spinned on his heel. "He's an idiot, Vanya, don't listen to him." Vanya smiled at Lara's kind voice.
"How have you been holding up?" Vanya asked softly.
"You know, nothing different. Trapped in the house. Training. Still 13. The usual. But it's been better, I guess." Vanya was referring to Lara's health problems she struggled with after Five's disappearance. "Good. I'm glad to hear that." Vanya smiled her gentle smile and walked into the living room. She turned around and saw Pogo, standing there. Immediately, she hurried to greet him. While the two could be heard conversing, Lara looked up to the painting above the fireplace. When Five disappeared, Reginald had an oil painting made of him, and hung it above the fireplace as a way to mourn. Never took it down. Not that Lara was complaining, anyway. She stared at his features, and remembered the way that he smiled, how his eyes gleamed when he was answering maths problems. The way that his brilliant mind worked. She sighed and remembered how funny he was, yet so kind and thoughtful. Remorse flowed through her veins as she lost herself in memories of her best friend. So lost, that she didn't notice Pogo and Vanya standing on either side of her. "Seeing the whole family here makes you think of him, doesn't it." Pogo spoke in a low voice, a voice that was comforting in every way to Lara. "Yeah." Lara's voice quivered. Her throat tightened in an effort to stop herself from crying. "How long is it that he's been missing?" Vanya looked towards the two of them. "16 years, 4 months and 14 days," Pogo and Lara said, in unison. Pogo continued. "Your father insisted that we keep track."
Lara let out a quiet laugh before adding, "every night I would be so scared that he would come home to a dark house. So, the hopeful child that I was, every night I would leave the lights on and leave him a-"
"Peanut butter and marshmallow sandwich," Vanya interrupted. Lara looked at her with a puzzled expression. "I know. I found them. You din't know how many times everyone else stepped in them." Lara laughed. "Sorry. I just miss him so much. So much it makes me angry, that 16 and almost a half years later I still can't move on." Pogo and Vanya looked at her in empathy. "Your father always believed that Number Five was still out there somewhere." Pogo smiled gently at Vanya and Lara. "And look where that got him."

The family had gathered in the living room later on in the day, and Luther was the first person to speak up. "Um, I figured that we should get this started, have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown, say a few words in dad's favourite place."
"Dad had a favourite place?"
"Yeah in the corner under the oak tree.  We used to sit there under the tree all the time. None of you guys ever do that?"
Luther received a series of no's and shaking of heads, and sighed. Klaus stepped forward. "Will there be refreshments?" Everyone smiled. He continued, "tea, scones, cucumber sandwiches are always a winner."
"What? No." Luther pointed at Klaus' cigarette. "And put that out. You know dad never allowed anyone to smoke in here."
"Is that my skirt?" Allison sounded annoyed at klaus.
"Yeah, I found it up in your room." Lara snickered, earning a couple glances from others. "It's a little outdated I know, but it's very breathey on the bits."
"Ew, Klaus." Lara laughed.
"Listen up." Luther started. "There's other things we need to discuss."
"Like what?"
"Like the way he died."
"Wait what? I thought the coroner said it was a heart attack..." Vanya questioned.
"Yeah, according to the coroner."
"Well wouldn't they know?" Allison added.
"Theoretically." Luther sighed.
"Theoretically what, Luther?"
"I'm just saying, at the very least, something happened. The last time I talked to Dad, he sounded strange."
"Oh, quelle surprise!" Klaus said, while gurgling his drink.
"Strange how?" Allison said, almost whispering.
"He told me I should be careful who to trust."
"He was a paranoid, bitter old man who was starting to lose what was left of his marbles." Diego added.
"No. He must of know something was going to happen. Look, I know you don't like to do it, but I need you to talk to Dad." Luther looked at Klaus. Klaus had the ability to talk and control the deceased, but could only do it when he was sober. So basically, he could never do it anymore. This talk went on until Luther said something he shouldn't have said.
"So you think it was one of us who killed Dad?"
Luther didn't answer. "Jesus, Luther. You can't actually think that." Lara said, standing up. The others also stood up, muttering their disappointments. "Guys- I- that's not what I meant!"