Chapter 22

By December 24th, Grace was sitting Eliza's living room, with a newspaper in front of her. She was looking for a new job.

It's not that she didn't trust Freddie. It's just that she still couldn't believe that John Reid was fired the same night she was fired by him. And the worst of it, the frontman had fired him without the other band members knowing it. And he said that only Jim Beach knew.

She sighed while looking at all the jobs that were printed there. It's not that she didn't thought that other jobs were low pay or anything, is just that, will she ever get something as great as being a band manager? As great as being the manager of that band?

Her thoughts trailed back to Roger Taylor.

He was right, she had to give it a chance. They hadn't even started properly, they still had a lot to go through, a few obstacles here and there, a few choices to make. Who would've known that a month ago, she was standing besides Reid all shaky and hopeful.

But there was that too, they had only known each other for a month a little bit more. How could there be such a strong feeling? 

And then her mood fell down again, how could he...? 

She tried hard not to think about Dominique, her defeated gaze over Grace whenever she was around, when the wrong news spread and when everything started to go wrong. As a woman, she wasn't feeling right about it.

She looked at the calendar, it's been two days since they've been back and only Freddie had came to visit her. She bit her lip as she bravely took a simple decision.

Freddie had given her his phone number and she was looking at it, thinking it twice, thrice even. She wanted to do the right thing.

"Hello?", the other side of the phone cooed, as Grace cleared her throat.

"Freddie? It's Grace, I'm very ashamed to do this, but... I've got something to ask you"

A few hours later, Theodore appeared in the house as Eliza received him.

"Hi El, where's G?", he asked as soon as he got in.

"She's getting her things ready", Eliza replied as she also was getting her stuff ready. She was going home for Christmas. "I see you've made up your mind, Ted"

"I only do it for her... and mum", Theodore acknowledged as he sat on a single couch and took his cigarettes out of his pocket. 

"I see", Eliza smiled and then kept putting some clothes in a suitcase.

Before coming out of the bathroom, where she was putting some mascara on, Grace looked at the piece of paper she had on her pocket. Her intense stare looked at the numbers written on it, but as she heard her older brother's loud voice in the living room, she saved it again.

"Hey Gracie, ready to go?", Theodore asked as Grace came out with a small suitcase.

"Not really, you?", she asked as she was hugging Eliza from her back.

"I'll never be ready to go to that rotten place, sweetheart", Theo said as he exhaled deeply.

Still, the Warrington siblings were on their way to Camden Town. For the first time since Grace went away from home, they were going back. Both of them were silent in the drive back home, as Theo was kind of trying not to think about the past, about how despicable his father is.

When they got there, they were surprised to see their mother waiting for them outside in the cold. When she recognized them as they were coming out of the car, only tears of joy were seen in her eyes.

"My boy... my girl... my babies", she seemed that she couldn't believe it. Grace let herself be hugged by her as she noticed how thin she was, how neglected she was... her dark clothes, the dark circles under her eyes... the way her voice seemed to break. She cried too. "Come on in, it's cold outside"