5

When they got home, Xavier stormed up to his room. Arkyn looked at Alexis curiously and she shrugged.
"He's been in a mood all summer." She frowned. "Even got in a fight."
"Go on." He said. "I'll bring the bags inside later."
"Okay." She shrugged and skipped inside. Arkyn locked the car and headed to talk to Xavier. He knocked on the door, but Xavier kept quiet.
"Xave!" He called but there was no reply. "I'm coming in now." He opened the door. Xavier was on his bed. "You're a little old for the silent treatment, don't you think?"
"Whatever." Xavier mumbled. Arkyn walked over and sat on the edge of the bed.
"What is it? What's wrong?"
"You know I can barely handle Ruby. Her blatant hatred of you, and all vampires, the way she treated mom- it's a tough one to swallow. But what I absolutely cannot handle is her trying to introduce a deadbeat father into our lives."
"What?"
"She didn't think I remembered- said he was a friend of hers." Xavier rolled his eyes. "He was every bit the jerk I remembered."
"You saw Ethan?"
"Yeah."
"And Ruby brought him to you?"
"Yeah." Arkyn sighed and laid down beside Xavier.
"You know, if you wanted to-"
"No. I don't want anything to do with him. He walked out on mom. He walked out on us. I hate him, Ark."
"I'm just saying, your mom would be fine with it. And so would I."
"Well I'm not. And I'm not fine with him being anywhere near Lex either."
"So I'm guessing he's the dude you got in a fight with?"
"Wasn't much of a fight. I punched him. A few times. He stood there and took it."
"Did you talk to him?"
"Alexis was checking out the neighbourhood so I sort of just walked away and went to go find her."
"No words?"
"He said 'hi', if that counts."
"And he didn't come back again?"
"I mean he tried. Ruby said he wanted to meet Lex. I told her he had fifteen years, and that it was too late. And that if he showed his face to Lex, I'd kill him."
"Xave..."
"I know. Killing is bad, ironic coming from the vampire. And it's not like I would actually do it. Mom wouldn't want me to."
"Attaboy."
"Besides murder would be a seriously heavy thing to have to carry around. Although I could try to argue self defence. Either way, doubt MIT would allow me in or... any college, even."
"That's true."
"Plus he's really not worth the whole trying to get rid of the body and evidence thing."
"Xavier. Stop. I'm not mad. Your dad-"
"Not my dad. He gave up that title years ago. You're my dad."
"And it's an honour." Arkyn said. "Either way, it's up to you whether you wanted to talk to him. But you should give Lex a chance to decide for herself. She's old enough, and if she wants to meet him, you have to support that."
"Or she never has to know."
"She'll find out. One day. And she'll hate that you kept it a secret. It's her right whether she wants to get to know him. Her choice."
"Stop being logical."
"Someone's got to be the voice of reason. So go." Arkyn shooed Xavier out.
"Now?"
"Yes, now." Arkyn rolled his eyes and Xavier headed to his sister's room.
"Lex?" Xavier knocked on the door. She was sat at her desk. "Jeremy already?" He nodded at her open laptop and waved at the face on her screen.
"What do you want Xave?"
"Can we talk?" He asked. She frowned.
"Sure. Hey, Jer, I'll call you back." She said and the Gilbert nodded. She closed her laptop and swivelled to properly look at her brother. "Uh oh. What is it?"
"There's something you should know."
"Uh huh?"
"You remember the first week we were at Ruby's? You went to look around?"
"Yeah."
"Well like the third day you went to explore, Ruby brought home the man who was once married to mom."
"Oh yeah. That dude you beat up." Xavier frowned. "I'm not an idiot, Xavier. I saw pictures of him. I know what he looks like. Mom used to keep them in that small chest-box of hers. And I saw him in town the next day. You had bruises on your knuckles, he had bruises on his face."
"And you're okay with it?"
"Personally, I think you let him off easy. But I figured you did what you could without sending him to the ER and subsequently yourself to jail."
"You didn't say anything."
"I didn't think you wanted me to know. Plus, it's not like I want to see him anyways. So I played the innocent little sister."
"Thanks."
"Is this why you've been in such a bad mood all summer?"
"Ruby kept trying to push me to give him another chance. To give you a chance at having a dad."
"We already have a dad."
"That's what I said."
"Thank you for keeping him away."
"Anytime." Xavier smiled.
"Is that it?" Alexis asked and Xavier nodded. He walked in and gave her a hug.
"So, to be clear, if I ever see him again-"
"You can tell him that I don't want anything to do with him either with absolute certainty."
"Alright." He said, and turned to the door, calling out. "Hear that, Ark?"
"Loud and clear." Came his reply, and the siblings laughed.