42

When Arkyn got home, he headed straight for Alexis's side. Kol sat beside her as she lay in her bed.
"What happened?" Arkyn asked.
"I don't know. One moment she was fine. We were talking, and then she started convulsing and I don't know what's wrong. She stilled after I fed her my blood and she's been out since. She's still alive." Kol shrugged.
"Lex, come on." Arkyn said through gritted teeth. He checked her temperature, but she seemed fine. Eventually he stood.
"What are you doing?"
"Taking her to a hospital. I don't know what the hell is wrong with her but no way is this okay, Kol. I'm not sitting around waiting for her to get worse." He picked her up and sped away. He'd left his car at Bonnie's house, so he decided to run directly to the hospital. He got a doctor's attention and they put her on a hospital bed, carting her away. Kol was by his side. Arkyn was pacing for what seemed like an eternity before a doctor came out.
"Which one of you is Ark?" The doctor asked, and Arkyn raised his hand. "I just need to ask you a few questions."
"Is Alexis okay?" He tried to compel her.
"A vampire?" She asked. "Don't bother with compulsion, I'm on vervain."
"I can think of other ways to get the truth. None of them pleasant for you, though, sweetheart." Kol smirked, and Arkyn grabbed his arm, pulling him back.
"Just tell me if she's okay." Arkyn pleaded.
"Who are you to her?"
"I'm her family." He said.
"Thing is I know all the vampires in town, but I haven't really heard much of you."
"Ever heard of the originals?" Arkyn asked and her eyes widened in fear.
"Alexis is going to be fine. In fact, she's asking for you." The doctor said, as she led them down a hall. "It looks like she had some sort of allergic reaction."
"Lex isn't allergic to anything."
"I didn't say it was an allergic reaction. Just that it looks like it. Best I can tell, her body is reacting badly to something she had in the past twenty four hours. I can't tell you what, but the vampire blood you gave her seems to be slowly healing her." She explained. "This is her room."
"Thank you, doc." Arkyn said gratefully as he and his brother walked in to the room. Alexis sat up, hooked up to some machines and an IV drip. "Hey, darling." Arkyn greeted.
"Ark! Hey. When can I get out of here?"
"When the doctors say so."
"I'm fine. I promise. I'll be much better in the comfort of my own bed."
"Yes well I'll feel much better with you in the comfort of this hospital bed where we can make sure you're okay."
"Can't risk you having another fit now, can we?" Kol remarked with a wink. "I still have a game of paper, scissors, rock to win."
"Rock, paper, scissors." She corrected.
"Whatever. So heal up, princess. I look forward to all the games you're yet to teach me."
"He's been calling me that all night, and I have no clue why."
"Isn't it obvious?" Kol asked. "You're Ark's little princess."
"Ooh, that's a sore subject. Lex hasn't wanted to be a princess since she was eight."
"No?"
"No way. She wanted to be a prince for years after that, because they got all the action. Then she grew out of that and just decided she was happy being a witch, as long as she was legendary."
"Stop talking about me like I'm not here."
"As you wish, princess." Kol smirked. Arkyn tried to smile, before looking at Alexis worriedly.
"I'm fine, Ark. I promise."
"Fine does not end up in a hospital bed."
"Fine leaves a hospital bed." She shrugged, before reaching out and grabbing his hand assuringly.
"Did you have anything strange in the past twenty four hours? Anything new to your digestive system? The doctor said your body was reacting to something."
"Everything I ate came from our kitchen. Well, except the hors d'oeuvres and champagne served at your mom's party, but everyone ate that."
"Yeah, but you're the only one who got sick. You don't remember anything weird?"
"No, Ark, I don't. Now before you get a sample of every single thing I ate in the past day and compel someone to break down their chemical composition or whatever, I'm okay. Don't worry."
"I will always worry about you." He sighed, putting his hand on her head. "Get some rest. I'll be right here."
"Don't tell Xavier?"
"That's not an option."
"Please?"
"Get some rest, darling." He said and she laid back on her bed defeated. He took a seat on the chair beside her.
"You don't have to stand awkwardly at the door, you know." Alexis told Kol. "Sit down!"
"Sure." He sat beside his brother. "So who's Xavier?"
"My brother."
"I didn't know you had a brother."
"Oh, yeah. I do. He's just away at college right now. In fact we're supposed to go up next week for family weekend."
"How long have you known Ark?"
"He was a friend of my mom's and I've known him my entire life."
"Really now? So are we going to get to meet your mother anytime soon?"
"My mom's been dead for a couple years, so very doubtful."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
"We all are. And before you ask about my dad, Ark's the closest thing I have to one. He helped mom raise us, he came to all my ballet recitals and tennis games and taught me how to play soccer and ride a bike." She smiled.
"Yeah, he freaked like a dad when he saw you, too." Kol teased his little brother.
"He overreacts a lot. When I was a little girl, he used to use his blood to heal even the smallest of scrapes." She rolled her eyes.