twenty eight

DAY TWENTY-EIGHT

Peter quickly blinked his eyes as he removed his glasses, shoving them into his pocket. "Yeah, it's weird. I just woke up this morning not needing my glasses to see."

There was a mumble of a voice before it became clear, "...the spider?" Uncle Ben asked, half his question unheard.

"Uncle Ben, I couldn't hear what you said. Are you sure you're speaking towards the phone speaker?" Peter asked with a playful and teasing tone.

Peter heard the rustling again, and Ben talking to himself about the difficulty of this modern device, "okay, can you hear me now, Pete?"

"Yeah," the boy nodded, although Ben couldn't see. Peter looked down at his hand where the spider bit him and slowed his steps. "So do you think it was the spider?"

"Don't know, Pete. Radioactive, you say?"

The young teen shook his head, continuing his slow pace back home. "Super spider."

Ben laughed, leaning back in his recliner chair as he looked out the window, taking in the city lights illuminating the night. "Eh, same thing." He then lowered his voice into a loud whisper, "Maybe you're a superhero. Like Iron Man."

"Haha, oh yeah. The new batman but instead Spiders. Black Widows little sidekick," Peter scoffed. He knew he wasn't a superhero, that was just an unrealistic child dream.

Uncle Ben sighed, making sure to be extra loud so Peter could hear through the phone.  "I'm being serious, Peter."

There was a moment of silence on Ben's line as Peter's entire body got goosebumps, as if there was danger. His footsteps quickened as the apartment building got into his line of sight.

He heard Ben's voice, speaking slowly, even almost calmly, "Great power comes great responsibility, Pete. Remember that."

Then, there was a loud noise, maybe even a bang, and then a thump, sounding like a phone falling to the floor.

Peter stopped his movements, his breath quickening in fear. "Ben? Uncle Ben? Hello?"

__________
unedited

im sorry, ben cant come to the phone right now. why? oh cause he's dead