13

Annabeth:

Percy and I drove late into the night. The desert zipped past us and outside felt invisible. Lita slept quietly in the back wrapped up in our jackets. The time on my watch read out 11:46

We watched the road and slowly drove onwards. It was far to dangerous to stop and if we did and kind of monster could catch us.

"Percy I have a really bad feeling about this river nymph"

"Yeah I do to"

More silence.

"Percy why have you been angry at me"

He was very quiet and just kept driving.

"Was it because of how I found you upset after battling that cyclops"

"No"

"I'm sorry if I did hurt you but please I can't make it right if I don't know what I did"

"I have been...stupid and it shouldn't bother me what happened because it wasn't real but it all I can't think about".

No other cars were on the highway at this time. It was only the three of us in a small car. Percy waited then continued.

"When we were in the cyclops lair... I was all alone and the voice of the cyclops was...it said.. things in your voice and my moms and Poseidon's voice and....."

Percy let out a loud sniff and wiped his eyes.

"When I found you Percy, I though you were going  to kill yourself"

"Well that was the plan" he let out a broken laugh.

We were silent some more. I could feel the tension between Percy and I, and the fact he was holding back tears. I looked out into the night again. The terrain has changed it was smoother and the lights of a sleepy town glittered past. I squeezed my eyes together and looked into the night.

A small sign looked out of the black.

"PERCY STOP"

He slammed on the breaks and we shuddered to a stop, our breakers screamed.

"We are here" I said. Percy nodded.

Lita was amazing still asleep. I reached out to wake her but Percy grabbed my wrist softly and shook his head.

We stepped onto the Asphalt and walked slowly to the bridge. It was so dark out here.

"Little demigods trying to cross my bridge" a sly voice called out. We turned and saw a handsome man standing in the middle of the bridge.

"Hello Pecos river, how are you" I tried to be polite.

The river sprit has a leather jacket on and a jeans that looked like a Chandelier and his was slick with grease.

"Cut the crud demigods, I'm not letting you over my river".

Percy stepped forward . "Please , I am the son of Poseidon".

"Well good for you pretty boy but sadly I don't owe anything to Barnacle beard".

I saw Percy roll his eyes. My mind was think of options fast.

"We are headed to Dallas sir, is there anything we could do that would let us pass".

He was silent for a minute. "You're headed to Dallas" his thick accent repeated.

"Yes that's what she said" Percy sassed, I stomped hard on his foot.

"Well then there is something you could do for me godlings. That joke Aires stalked one of my daughters, that scumbag kidnapped her after she rejected him. So he has taken her hostage in his man cave. If you swear on the river Styx to save her,I will let you pass.

Impulse rushed through Percy before I could react.

"You have a deal"

"I wanna hear you swear godling."

"I swear on the river Styx to save your daughter".

"Good now you may pass".

We got into the car in silence and drove by the spirt.

We sat in silence for five minutes.

"GODS DAMMIT PERCY" I shouted, the wall of emotions snapped.

"You didn't think that through, we could have made it through some other way without swearing our lives away".

"Hey it was just me who swore in the Styx."

"How do you expect me to get Lita home by myself. And Aires man cave he really heavily guarded, we will never make it."

"Calm down Annabeth".

I glared daggers at him. Off into the night we drove, towards our doom in Dallas.