Chapter 2

Daniel Goddard

I paced the front room as Aaron swirled his whisky in his glass. He had arrived with Uncle Edgar half an hour earlier in a panic. He had been with Ms. Wilde in the guest room since he had arrived, causing me to panic. She was so pregnant, so vulnerable I could not bear to leave her out there on the streets. Her son, who was no older than my oldest niece and nephew, had her eyes, was curious and happy. It led me to believe that whatever situation they had escaped, Ms. Wilde had protected him from the horrors of it. Annie and Sarah sat outside the door, whispering over this afternoon's events.

"You'll put a hole in the rug, cousin." Aaron chided with a smirk. I threw him a dirty glare as I continued to pace. "Daniel, if you are afraid she'll rob us, I can give her money."

"I am afraid that she is ill and will go back to the streets." I admitted. "She has two children to think of and no home of her own. Imagine if that was Aileen? Would you be so calm?" Aaron raised his eyebrow curiously.

"I'd be furious if George left Aileen to fend for her own with the children attached to her, but Ms. Wilde is not our sisters. Our sisters and cousins are Goddard's and Crawly's and O'Boyle's. They are women who should never tested." Aaron said casually. I waved him off dismissively. Yes, Ms. Wilde was neither Abby nor Katrina, but she was strong in her own way. She carried the weight of a retired soldier in her eyes and the body of a warrior queen.

"She's different, Aaron. She's has memories that no one in our family has ever experienced. I want to know how to help her." I turned to face him, placing my hands on my hips.

"We're not doctors, Dan, we're going to be lawyers. We've already abolished slavery, we cannot cross the pond and try to spout our Bible. Those Americans have to figure this out on their own." Aaron said as our uncle opened the door. He ran his hand through his hair as he neared us.

"Where did you find this girl?" Uncle asked us, taking his seat next to Aaron.

"Dan found her at the Market." Aaron murmured, taking another swill of his drink.

"She's been beaten like many of the slaves that find their way here. Her son shows no signs of the abuse; I'm leery of her bolting before she has the chance to deliver her baby. She didn't say who the father was, but I will stake my license on it that whoever fathered her son fathered this baby, and she ran from him. She doesn't trust men, boys. I'm surprise she even agreed to follow you, Dan." Uncle commented. Fanny came from the kitchen and handed Uncle a drink. Fanny was like that once, she could barely walk towards one, let alone hand them a drink. She's come a long way since her youth, she could help Ms. Wilde.

"Could it be beneficial to have someone who has once been in her position talk to her? Fanny could speak with her, make her see reason." I pushed, wringing my hands together. Uncle waved Fanny away and motioned for me to come closer.

"Daniel, Ms. Wilde was raped, by God knows who and how many times. She and Fanny are not the same. Her experience is not one I wish upon anyone. She needs time, compassion and understanding. One day, Ms. Wilde will come around. It's just not today." Uncle explained. "She's due by the end of the week, and if she doesn't go into natural labor herself, then we need to be worried. But we will cross that bridge when we get there. Your Aunty is expecting me home for supper. Let Ms. Wilde do something productive with her time. Let her bake, clean, add a feminine touch to this bachelor pad. It will help ease her past anxiety. Be good, nephews. I'll be back in two days."

Uncle rose from the couch and grabbed his belongings. Aunty Bridie prided herself in punctuality. So much so, that Uncle Edgar was deathly afraid of being late to anything. He was even an hour early to his own wedding. Aaron went back to drinking his swill, waiting for me to come to my revelation.