Chapter 6

Daniel Goddard

Abby stared at me, her nostrils flaring as she clenched and unclenched her fists. I knew what she wanted to do: sock me in the nose. But she wouldn't in front of the children. I took a quick step sideways, covering Olivia in case my sister became volatile.

"Wife?" Abby finally hissed, taking a tentative step towards me. Victor followed her step, being precautious as well.

"Yes, my wife. Uncle Caiden officiated, Uncle Edgar and the girls witnessed it. We've been married about a week." I offered, grasping her hands. "And before you say anything, it was my idea."

"Are you daft?"

Abby could hardly contain herself. She shook with such anger, I could hardly believe it was my sister. Victor placed Mary-Jane on the floor before grabbing Abby's arms. She shrugged him off and grabbed hold of my lapel.

"How could you—"

Abby cut herself short at the sound of pattering feet coming towards us.

"Mama, Mama," Matthew exclaimed. Olivia let go of me and picked up our son, murmuring something to him. Sarah came panting behind him, pausing to regain herself against the door frame.

"Beg your pardon, Sir. He woke up and demanded his parents—"

"It's alright, Sarah. We would have had you wake him anyway." I excused her with a wave. She must have returned to darling Edith, or at least I hope she did.

"Mama, can I play?" Matthew asked.

"Of course, Pet. Go play with your cousin, Bertie." I ordered softly, offering my son an encouraging smile. Olivia set him down and he waddled, rather quickly, over to Bertie and MJ. I turned my attention to Abby, placing my hands over hers.

"Shall we take a seat and discuss this further?" I suggested, prying her hands from my vest. I led the four of us to the sitting area, while still being able to keep an eye on the children. I took Olivia's hand as we sat, trying to comfort her. I was displeased at how this meeting went. I was so sure that of all my siblings, Abby would understand.

"Well, are you going to explain yourself?" Abby demanded, slanting her eyes at my wife. I pressed a kiss to her knuckles, attempting to reassure her that all will be well.

"I met Olivia three weeks ago, at Market. We collided with each other, and from the instant I looked into her eyes... She needed help, support, really. Livy was nearly to term with our daughter—"

"Daughter!" Abby whispered harshly. "You got her pregnant?" I looked at Olivia and sighed. We had agreed to forgo the subject of her bastard abuser until we were sure Abby and Victor didn't know them. But it seemed as though our plans were thwarted.

"Matthew and Edith are legally my children. Their father no longer has claim to them. Now, will you let me finish?" I snapped, giving Abby a hairy eyeball. I continued with our story, keeping my eyes trained on my wife. I respected her more than anything else in this world. She was so much stronger than I ever could have been. Everything she endured made her a better person than most, made her a woman I hoped our daughter would look up to. Once I had finished telling our abbreviated story, Victor stood and offered Olivia his hand.

"As a man with a rather sketchy past," He began as Olivia took his hand. "I want to welcome you to our family with open arms. I'm sure, you're ready, you will share your story with us. I know that we shall listen without judgement, just as Danny has." Olivia nodded, a faint smile appearing on her lips. Victor returned to his set as Olivia turned towards me.

"I'm going to tend to Edith," She whispered. I nodded, pressing a chaste kiss to her cheek. I craved to feel her lips against mine, but I knew I could not push her. If I did, I would lose this wonderful woman completely, and I could not afford to. Not when I was learning to love her. As soon as my wife left, I turned my attention back to Abby.