Chapter 10

Daniel Goddard

I stared at Olivia as she adjusted Edith in her arms. Matthew had crawled into my lap, chewing nervously on his thumb. We would break that habit later. Mother wrung her hands in her skirt, mulling over what Olivia and I had told them. We only paused because Edith had woken from her nap, crying at the top of her lungs. She was not hungry, and we changed her as quickly as we could, but she would not stop crying. It had to be from the tension in the room.

We'd taken turns, although my time for speaking was less than my Livy's, telling my parents of how we met and how she came to be here. We were about to tell them where she came from when our little interruption happened. Livy jogged her nervously, cooing to her, almost pleading, for her to fall back asleep. Father stood and walked the short distance to us, kneeling in front of my wife.

"May I?" He gestured towards my daughter. Livy looked at me for a second before relinquishing Edith to my father. "I've learned quite a few tricks over the years. I'm sure Danny's told you, but he's just one of five delightful babies we've raised. I've become quite good at consoling them."

Livy chewed nervously on her lip as Father stood and carried Edith back to his seat. I tugged Livy closer, willing that my touch soothed her soul. I knew that my mother was making her nervous and that there was nothing I could do about it. I glanced at Father and smiled. He was enraptured by my daughter within a matter of seconds. It wasn't as if he hadn't any babies around the manor: Kat and Helen had given birth within weeks of each other. My niece and nephew were about a year old now, and from what I heard, mischievous as their parents.

"You've yet to introduce us to your children, Danny." Father murmured, brushing his pinky lightly down the slope of Edith's nose. We watched as her cries turned to whimpers and her eyes began to droop shut. I would have to learn that technique from him very soon.

"Mother, Father, may I introduce your grandchildren; Edith Martha Goddard and Matthew James Goddard." I ran my fingers through Matthew's hair, earning his attention at last. I smiled at him as he finished with his fingers, resting his head against my chest.

"They aren't Daniel's," Mother stated, cutting daggers into Olivia.

"Mother," I warned, placing my hand over Matthew's ear. "They are mine, in name and in blood, if anyone were to question it. Their father will have no claim to them. I love them with all my soul. Including their mother, and that will be the end of that, Mother." Mother harrumphed, undoubtedly working up a scheme in her mind. She never used to be this way, but I know that she lives for us and that all she wants is our happiness.

"They're quite beautiful, Olivia," Father commented softly. "Shall we be expecting more in the near future?" Olivia paled at his question, gripping my hand tightly. My parents didn't know the extent of our situation, other than Olivia leaving the leering eye of her brother-in-law.

"Not for some time, Father. Little Edith is barely a month old. We would like some time to adjust Matthew to being a big brother before bombarding him with little infants around the house. And besides, the house in Hyde Park is becoming cramped. We need to find a place to relocate to." I dismissed. Livy squeezed my fingers as my parents watched us. I knew her nerves weren't settling, and yet there was nothing that I could do to ease them.

"Olivia, I do not mean to pry, but it seems to me that you've been in an altercation recently." Father pondered. Livy touched her cheek, trying to cover the still purple bruise. Thankfully her stitches faced me. They'd have to come out in a day or two, depending on what Victor thought proper.

"V-v-very observant, sir," She stuttered. "I-I tripped an-and hit the corner of the bed frame earlier this week." This time, it was Father's turn to harrumph, adjusting my daughter once again.