Chapter 4

Daniel Goddard

I stared Olivia as she rocked her baby, avoiding all eye contact with me. Uncle sat beside me, scratching behind his ear. I knew she was in trouble, I just didn't understand how much trouble that was. Until now. She needed to be set free, but my solution would be too forward.

"Give the children my name, Olivia." I commanded, her name weighing heavily on my tongue. Her name was so lovely, and I adored being able to call her by her first name.

"I could never ask that of you, Mr. Daniel. My family shouldn't become your burden." She argued, stealing a glance at me. I rose and sat myself on her bedside, placing my hand on her lap.

"You are my friend, Olivia. And as my friend, I care for you, I care for your children. I want you to be safe, at all costs, Olivia." She looked at me like I had four heads.

"I can't ask that of you, Daniel. You don't know what they're like. You don't know what will happen to me. We will never be safe!" She exclaimed. "I don't think you understand my predicament, Mr. Daniel." I glanced at Uncle, nodding towards the door. Thankfully he understood my nod and left quietly.

"I promised you that you'd be safe. That only works if you share who's after you." I urged, curving my finger under her chin. Tilting her chin upwards, I saw the tears she was trying not to shed. She was so much stronger than I anticipated.

"Richard Montgomery," She whispered harshly. "He's my brother-in-law. He's not a good man—He's unfaithful to my sister—He-He-He... forced..." Olivia shook her head fiercely, pressing a tearful kiss to her daughter's head.

"He won't find them, Olivia. I'd never let him take them." I vowed. "I'd never let him take you. You must believe me." She shook her head fiercely, gripping her baby.

"He's nobility—a Duke, I think. He has money, resources and more than likely my father and brother on their way here. They'll take me back—I'll be returned to slavery —they'll take my children—" Olivia panicked, her knuckles turning white around the baby's muslin. I don't know how, but I managed to take the baby from her and place her in the bassinette beside the bed.

"Olivia," I murmured, taking her hands in mine. I had to offer my rash decision: marriage. "I can promise you freedom, but I don't think you'll like the idea. I can offer protection for you, your sister and your children. All you have to do is trust me. Can you do that?"

She nodded as the tears streamed down her face. God, I so desperately wanted to pull her into my arms and comfort her until all was right with the world. Instead, I pressed her hands to my lips as I closed my eyes. By marrying her, whoever owned her in her past life would have no hold over her. She'd be safe, but married to me, a man who hardly knew her and didn't deserve her.

"I value your friendship above all else. But the quickest way to ensure your freedom before these barbarians find you is to marry. I do not wish for you to think ill of me, or that I had ulterior motives upon bringing you here. I offer you all that I have, my protection, my home and my name. I offer to be a father for your children, a friend for yourself, and faithful. I offer to save your family from their imprisonment."

She looked at me through her teary eyes, not uttering a word. I knew I had thrown so much information at her at such a late hour of the night. Wiping her eyes with the back of her hands, she looked away from me and to her baby.

"I don't want Edith to suffer how I've suffered. I can't let them set foot on American soil." She looked back at me, licking her lips shyly. "I accept, Mr. Daniel, your promise. I trust you." I pressed a kiss to her forehead before moving to stand.

"I'll let you get some rest, Olivia." I murmured before leaving the room. Uncle and Aaron were waiting in the study, along with Fanny. Annie and Sarah must have taken young Matthew to bed, giving Olivia time to acquaint herself with Miss Edith. My Uncle was rearranging his bag as Aaron and Fanny shared a drink together.