Chapter 3

Olivia Wilde

Everyday became more and more taxing on my body. Matthew took to Mr. Daniel like a moth to a flame. When Mr. Daniel worked from home, Matthew was in his office, listening to Mr. Daniel read his reports like they were fairytales. I guess in a way, Matthew craved a father, and Mr. Daniel was the closest thing to that. It wasn't that Matthew's father was dead or left us, it was more the fact that he owned me, owned my sister.

My sister, Isabella, was married nearly five years ago to a Duke, Richard Montgomery. He was positively charming, at first. When he came to the plantation, he wooed her, giving her gifts, making promises that he'd free me, he'd take me with them to England, to his home. What we didn't know was how good an actor he was. His demand to leave so quickly after the wedding breakfast was slightly alarming, but Isa and I chalked it up to him being homesick. He as relentless. He hardly let Isa and I out of the room, threatening to kill either one of us if we moved from our torture beds. I discovered I was pregnant with Matthew a few weeks before we left the ship, Isa discovered her pregnancy shortly after me. Matthew was born a month and a half early and was quickly the apple of his father's eye. Isa gave birth to my niece Clarissa. For a short while, Richard left me alone. I was able to raise my son, keep him my own. Isa was not so lucky. She was constantly raped for the past four years, and three pregnancy's later, produced a litter of little girls. After Marie was born in January, Richard was tired of not having another son. I had decided to leave before I began to show. Isa was still trapped in that hellhole.

We had plans to leave, to run away with the money she saved from her allowance. We were planning for France, Belgium, even Prussia. Anywhere to hide and raise our children the way we wanted to. It was proving harder to do than we thought. Richard hired men to watch the house after I had escaped. Mr. Greene was finding it harder and harder to escape to the city to deliver the messages. I was worried that Isa was in trouble. It killed me be so far away from her.

Mr. Daniel helped to distract me. The way he doted on Matthew and me made my heart race. He had purchased so much in preparation for my baby; muslins, a bassinette, little sleeping gowns, little dolls and such. He acted like the father my babies needed, not the father they had. Daniel fretted over the littlest things; mainly about me. I knew I was due soon, so very soon. At times, I thought every other adult in the house crazy. Mr. Aaron tried to avoid me at all costs. Fanny, who seemed quite attached to Mr. Daniel, did the same. Annie and Sarah were the closest things to friends I had.

"Miss Olivia?" Sarah whispered, peaking her head into the study. I picked my head up, offering her a warm smile. "Are you faring well? You haven't emerged in hours."

"Matthew fell asleep, and I am finding it quite difficult to move without making noise." I whispered back, rubbing my son's back.

"Lunch will be served soon; shall I bring it here?"

"As long as all three of you join me. It tends to be extremely boring to eat alone." Sarah nodded, closing the door behind her. Sarah was good. She was to deliver my letter tomorrow, and hopefully any future ones as well. She was also a good friend. Sarah, Annie and Fanny came into the study quietly, placing the tray of food on Mr. Daniel's desk. Fanny hardly made eye contact with me, not that I minded. I couldn't be friends with everyone in the world. It just wasn't possible.

"Are you excited, Miss? Baby Wilde is due any day now." Annie cooed, reaching to touch my stomach. I smiled, placing my hand above hers.

"I'll be happy to see my feet once more. It's been months since I've seen what they looked like." I joked, rubbing the crown of my stomach. My stomach tightened, but I paid no mind to it, picking at the meal that was brought to us. Fanny hardly looked in my direction, picking at the frays in her cuff.