Chapter 9

Olivia Wilde

I pressed my cheek to my knees as Annie scrubbed my back. Neither of the girls had said much, only humming to themselves. No matter how much the girls scrubbed, I felt vile. I wanted to scrub myself until I no longer felt their finger, their members, in my body.

"Olivia," Sarah whispered, coming around with the towel. "The water's gone cold, you're shivering." With their help, I climbed from the tub and stood on shaky legs as they wrapped me in my towel, and then my robe. When they finished, they hugged me, hesitating at first. I knew Daniel had told them of what happened, sparring the bloody details. He could hardly look at me.

I wanted God to swallow me whole.

"We're so sorry, Olivia," Annie whispered into my neck. I held them tighter, fighting the urge to cry. I'd never been so affected by this before. I wished to be numb, to be hollow and unfeeling. Why did it feel so different this time? I released them, placing my hands on their cheeks.

"I'm alive, ain't I? That's all that matters." I murmured. "Help me dress? I'm afraid I'm rather sore." Annie cracked a semblance of a smile as she took my hand. We walked the short distance from the kitchen to my room. Keegan, Daniel and Victor were running about the house, preparing it so we could leave in haste. Abby was entertaining the children, keeping them from me. I didn't know how to explain to them that I needed my children, safe in my arms. We entered my room, scarring my husband as he packed. He locked eyes with me as he wiped his hands on his trousers, mouthing silently for a moment.

"Of course, yes, my apologies," he stammered. "I-I shall leave you to dress. Excuse me, ladies." Daniel bowed his head as he walked towards the door. I wanted nothing more than for him to stay, so we may talk. Instead, I let him go, without a word. The girls dressed me without a word, and left similarly. Edgar and Bridie had stayed the night and I had yet to see them. I had yet to see anyone but Annie, Sarah and Daniel. I couldn't help the sob that escaped me, but I did my best to remain quiet. The tentative knock at my door stalled my pity-party.

"Enter," I called, trying to hide the sadness in my voice. Abby peaked her head in, then quickly turned and spoke to someone. She sneaked into the room and sat beside me on the bed.

"Matthew has been asking after you, but I think you need someone to talk to more." Abby took my hand between hers. I felt the tears well in my eyes once more. How could I find my voice to tell her or my horrors?

"Wh-what do you wish-wish to know?" I whimpered. Abby squeezed my hand as she scooted closer.

"Whatever you wish to tell me, Olivia." She murmured. I wiped my tears on my sleeve as I mustered the courage to tell her anything.

"I-I was born in New Orleans, twenty-two years ago. I lived on a plantation for eighteen of them," I said after some time. My horrors hadn't poured out like they had with Daniel. After last night, I could hardly think of Jacob and Richard without feeling nauseous. However, I told her of my children, beginning with my angels on the plantation, and ending with Edith. She held me close the whole time, letting me sob into her shoulder. When all was said, she pulled away enough to cup my cheeks.

"I am so sorry you ever had to live through those horrid events," She murmured, trying to wipe away my tears. "You are the most kind-hearted woman I've ever met. Daniel is so lucky to have you, as are your children." I wanted to cry more. Daniel could hardly look at me now, how could he be so lucky to have me?

"He can hardly look at my, Abigail," I cried. "He must be so ashamed of me. He can hardly speak to me!"

"Oh, darling," She murmured, pressing her forehead to mine. "He had hardly left your side once they found you. He was utterly heartbroken. I've never seen him so devoted to anyone in his life." I shook my head, trying to stop myself from crying harder. She held me closer, rocking me from side to side. We only pulled apart when Daniel opened the door. Abby pressed a kiss to my cheek before letting me go. She rose on shaky legs, pulling Daniel out of the room for a brief moment. My husband re-entered, alone, as I furiously wiped at me tears. I stood quickly as he neared me.