Chapter 8

Daniel Goddard

Everything had gone so wrong.

We were supposed to be merry, to celebrate with our friends. I never should have left her side. Her cries killed me, no matter how much I held her. I could have died when Victor and I had to hold her still while Edgar forced the laudanum down her throat. I felt so vile causing her trauma, to make her revisit her traumas. I couldn't find it in myself to let her go, even after she'd fallen asleep. Abby sat on the edge of the bed, picking at the quilt. Keegan and Victor had left to check on the children, and Uncle Edgar was quietly packing away his things.

"Daniel, I am so sorry." Abby whispered. I shook my head shifted Olivia to grasp Abby's hand.

"It's not your fault, Abby. I should not have left the two of you alone with those vile pigs about." I seethed. I cast my gaze down to Olivia, stroking her swollen cheek. God, she was going to hate me in the morning.

"It's my fault; I did this to her." I whispered. I adjusted Olivia once again, cradling her head against my shoulder. "I was so stupid to bring her to the party. And now they know where she is." Abby gripped my hand as I panicked. I needed to keep my family safe, away from their bastard family. I needed to bring her home.

"She won't blame you, Danny. She speaks so highly of you—whenever she spoke of you she couldn't help but blush! I dare say, she must be falling for you." Abby gushed. I huffed, shifting my gaze to Abby.

"Yes, and I've broken every bond of her trust by allowing that-that shell of a man. I allowed him to violate her like he used to."

I shook my head as Abby mouthed, trying to think of something to say. Nothing she could say would make what happened better. The night was going so well, she was flourishing in this new setting. Despite the shock to our friends, Olivia was well received.

*

I watched Olivia from our bed as she fretted over her hair. Aunt Bridie was kind enough to lend Olivia one of her dresses from last season. I made a note to take her dress shopping before we left for Avesbury. I held Edith in my arms, jogging her as she garbled off to sleep. She was growing so fast, I couldn't believe it. I wasn't ready for her to grow up. I pressed a kiss to her forehead, praying that no matter what her future held, she'd love her dear old Papa. I kissed her once more before laying her in the bassinet.

"Darling, stop fretting. You look marvelous." I commented, moving to stand behind her.

"I've never had to do my own hair before, Daniel. I've never been to a party before." She murmured, looking at me through her mirror. "I don't want anyone thinking I'm just some... some whore you've picked up off the street." I pressed a kiss to her exposed neck, feeling instant gratification from the quickening of her pulse.

"No one shall utter a word, not while I am alive." I wrapped my arms around her middle and drew her against my body. "You are my everything, Olivia. I won't let anyone defame you or take you from me." I spun her around and kissed her softly.

"Aunt Bridie and Uncle Edgar arrived ten minutes ago, and if we don't leave now, we will be late." I murmured, stroking her cheeks. "Besides, I want to show off my darling wife." I slid my hands down her arms and took her hands, pulling her from our room. Abby and Victor waited in the drawing room, fretting over each other's outfits. Edgar and Bridie sat on my sofa, with their books strewn over their laps.

"Oh, Olivia, look how wonderfully the dress fits you!" Bridie exclaimed. Olivia blushed beside me, bowing her head slightly.

"Thank you, Aunt." She murmured. "Shall we be off, then?" Olivia glanced at me, biting her full lip. I nodded, keeping Olivia close to me as I motioned for the rest of us to move to the carriage. Abby couldn't stop buzzing about the ball. She hadn't seen Louisa and Robert since MJ's christening. They had had twins after their own Pearl was born. According to the letter, Robert was blessed with Nora and Effie, gorgeous twin girls. Abby knew she wouldn't see the girls tonight, but would call upon them later in the week. Tonight, was solely for the adults.