Chapter 12

Daniel Goddard

We sat in the study, with all the children with us. Mama cradled my daughter, allowing her to suck on her pinky as I helped Matthew eat his food. He was so excited that his Caro was here to play with him. Keegan bounced Caroline on his knee as she gummed a piece of toast. Livy sat beside me, feeding Marie as best she could. There was no denying that Marie was Keegan's. She had his face, but softer.

"I cannot stay long. I have to get the buggy back." Keegan uttered softly. He ran his fingers through Caroline's hair, avoiding my mother's eyes. "He's coming back soon. He didn't tell me when, but he is."

"You're not leaving until this is—" Mama gestured with her head. "Is explained in full. Starting with that baby. She looks like you, Keegan."

"Ginny," He hissed. "It's a complicated situation. You must promise me you will leave your bias's out of it." Mama nodded, jogging Edith slightly. I placed a hand on Livy's knee, hoping that she would hold strong.

"I represent Lord Montgomery, Duke of Winchester. He is married to Olivia's sister, Lady Isabella. He's not a good man. He's been assaulting them both for nearly five years. Isa and I grew close after the birth of Caro—I love her, Ginny. With all my soul, I do. I had been planning to get them out of that house when Isa fell pregnant. We had to stall our plans. Near the end of her pregnancy, Olivia fell pregnant with Edith. Isa made me promise to get her and Matthew out." Keegan paused, looking into my wife's eyes. I watched her nod, giving her consent to continue with their story.

"Olivia was the only sister who produced a possible heir to his title. In four years, Isa had produced four daughters—and he had had enough. He had asked me if it was a possibility to have Matthew recognized as his rightful heir. I told him it wasn't. He didn't look like Isa—not that anyone besides me had ever known of her existence. He had made a remark of how easy it'd be to just make the girls disappear. He's been trying to kill them while searching for Olivia. He didn't know she was pregnant when she escaped—I think. He's a proper actor, Ginny."

"Who is left in the house, Keegan?" Papa asked, leaning forward in his chair.

"Isabella, and my nieces Georgia and Clarissa." Livy whispered, adjusting her dress. Marie garbled in her arms, itching to be burped. I saw much of Olivia in her too.

"When I go to get my horse, I plan on taking Georgia. She's easy to smuggle out. Clarissa will never willingly leave her mother. I have to get them out soon."

"We have to get them out soon." I corrected, taking Livy's hand. She looked at me with wide eyes, shaking her head. We had discussed it time and time again. Richard was dangerous, and Jacob even more so. She, and Keegan, believed that Richard would kill me if he had the chance. I disagreed, but it didn't change my mind. I promised to protect her, no matter what the cost.

Keegan rose to his feet, handing Caroline over to Papa. I placed Matthew beside my Livy, rushing to join Keegan as he left. I'd never seen Keegan so nervous. He was planning something, and he wasn't telling me. As we walked, I got what I could from him.

"Dan, we have to get them out before Christmas. He'll be home by then. I know he's realized that you've left with Olivia. He'll change his search to the country side." He tugged at his cuffs, as if they were constricting him. "I caught a glimpse of Isa—she's emaciated, Daniel. She'll die if he gets to her."

"We won't let that happen. Just get back here safely." I whispered assumingly. "We'll take care of Marie and Caroline. Make sure Georgia gets here in one piece." Keegan left without another word. I watched the buggy as it raced down the long drive, becoming nothing but a distant memory. I slowly walked back to the study, weighing the reality of our situation. How was I going to keep them safe? Part of me wanted to bar Livy from this all together—lock her and the children in a room and retrieve them when all was done. She'd never forgive me if I did that.