Chapter 7

Olivia Wilde

I could hardly comprehend what was happening. How was he here? None of that should have mattered at the moment—my friend was here with answers. I pulled out of his arms and grabbed his face in my hands.

"When Danny said he was marrying you, I didn't think he was serious. I didn't—I'm so happy you're alive!" Keegan exclaimed, his eyes searching my body. "You were pregnant—what happened?" I smiled weakly, looking down between us.

"Her name is Edith, she's almost two weeks old." I whispered. He laughed, drawing me close once again.

"How'd you find her, Danny? I've been searching for her for months after she was sacked from the factory." Keegan asked, turning us towards Daniel.

"We ran into each other, literally, at the market. I didn't know there was a search for her. Not that I would have turned her in to anyone." Daniel admitted, rising to join us. "We received the letter you posted."

Keegan's heart began to beat faster as he looked down at me. My heart clenched—Isabella and the girls were no longer safe. Keegan led me to my previous seat before grabbing an ottoman to sit before me. Daniel perched himself on the arm of my chair, grabbing my hand before the news was relayed.

"It began shortly after you escaped. He hired a governess for the older girls. He refused to allow Isa contact with them unless it was for their nightly viewing. He got her a new lady maid—a guard dog more like it. She hovers over Isa like it's the last thing she'll ever do." Keegan began, standing to pacing the length of the room. "Then, a month ago, he hired a wet nurse and called for his physician. He's confined her to her room, claiming that she's gone insane."

I stifled my sob. We both knew what that meant—he knew of the affair, of Marie's parentage. He knew everything. Keegan's posture began to slouch, as if he were defeated. I wanted to console my friend, but my body was frozen.

"What about their brother?" Daniel asked, pulling me into his side. Keegan cleared his throat, unsure if he should continue.

"Last time I ventured to Winchester, Richard and Jacob were preparing for a trip. That was nearly two months ago. They were going to London, to find Olivia. He has a house in Whitechapel. They've been there ever since, scouring the streets by day, and the parties by night. Richard has considerable contacts in the city, including your friend Robert, Abigail." I glanced at Abby as her brow creased as she searched her memory.

"Do you mean Lord Montgomery? Uncle Aiden's and Robert's hunting companion?" Abby recalled, her eyes widening. "I wasn't aware that he married!"

"Nobody would," I croaked. "He's taken great lengths to hide Isabella and the girls. He wants to claim Matthew as his heir, but he can't if my sister's still alive." Daniel pressed a kiss to my head, no doubt plotting Richard's death.

"Uncle, how are you attached to these people? Besides being their lawyer, I do not understand why you are so concerned." Abigail questioned, looking between us.

"Tell them, Keegan," I whispered. Keegan returned to his seat and grabbed my hand for strength.

"Isabella Montgomery, Olivia's sister and Richard's wife, is the love of my life. Call it what you will, we've been in a relationship for nearly two years." Keegan squeezed my hand as he thought of Marie. Even if he didn't want to admit it, Marie was his daughter.

"Isa's youngest daughter—Richard doesn't believe her to be his. Isa and Olivia swear that she's mine, but I would never risk their safety by confirming it." Keegan closed his eyes, trying to fight his emotions. "The plan was to take the girls to Belgium and start anew. I was supposed to find Olivia long before now, but she must have known Richard would be searching for her. Our plans have been foiled at every turn. I don't know what to do anymore."