Chapter 11

Olivia Wilde

After meeting the majority of his siblings, I began to heal. I felt completed by his family. Matthew adored his new cousins, and in return, they fawned over him. Katrina's twins, Adelaide and Alexandre, loved to play with Matthew and Robert. Edith spent most of her time attached to my chest, but socialized with the other infants.

I spent most of my time with Abby, Katrina and Helen. They made me miss my own sisters so very much. The way they bickered and shared their ideas made my heart blossom. I felt so very grateful that they included me. I began to forge a relationship with Lady Imogen. She called me to her chambers after supper and we talked for nearly an hour. At first, she offered me a brief apology, then we talked. Mainly little things, but none the less, we took the chance to bond.

All the while we stayed, we helped. Daniel continued to practice and study law, while also trying to find a way to incarcerate Richard. I spent most of my time with his sisters, either in the nursery or in Helen's suite. Katrina had confided in us that she was pregnant once again. She also confided in us that once the baby was born, and after her confinement, Katrina and her family were moving to Canada for a time.

"Does Mama know?" Abby questioned, stroking Edith's pink cheeks. It had been nearly a month since we arrived, but Victor confirmed that Edith had come down with a coughing illness. By now, we were at the worst of it, and Victor promised that she would pull through.

"Absolutely not!" Katrina exclaimed. Her son, Benjamin, was on the floor, suckling on his toes. "We wanted to have a good holiday. Henry and I agreed to wait until after Christmas to tell Mama and Papa both." Abigail clicked her tongue as she took her gaze away from Edith.

"Mama will not be pleased, Kat." Abigail chided. Helen chuckled as she carried daughter back into the sitting room.

"Why are you leaving England, anyway?" Helen asked, sitting beside me. It felt strange not to be holding my daughter. She was growing substantially for a one month old.

"Henry's parents have been urging us to bring the children over to see them. If we are going to go, then we wanted to go long enough to convince his parents to cross the pond. We don't plan to stay longer than five years. We're not relocating, just taking an extended holiday." Katrina offered. She glanced at me, extracting her son's foot from his mouth.

"What's it like being away from your parents? You don't have to answer, if you don't want to."

I smiled as I leaned back in my seat. How would I put my predicament to words? Did I miss my mother? Terribly. Did I miss my daddy? Exceedingly so. Did I miss the plantation? Never. I didn't miss anything that came along with living on the plantation.

"I do not miss being on the plantation, if that's what you're asking. However, I miss my Mother and my Daddy. I want to be able to tell them that I am alright, maybe even see them one more time." I murmured, crossing my arm over my stomach. Katrina nodded thoughtfully, her eyes gravitating towards my stomach.

"Are you and Danny going to give us a baby?" Katrina asked, tickling Benjamin's stomach.

"Edith is hardly a month old." I murmured. "Besides, it'd be very irresponsible of us to bring another child into the world when I have a monster at my heels. It's dangerous enough for Daniel to be married to me at the moment." Abby gave me a sympathetic look, shifting Edith to her lap.

"Have you made any progress on anything?" Abby asked. As far as we knew, Keegan said that Richard and Jacob had stayed in London. Getting to the manor, however, was another obstacle entirely.

"Danny wants to rescue the girls outright, one fell swoop. Keegan is trying to persuade him to get them out one at a time, and save my sister for last. It's easier to hide them in laundry or something." I murmured. Abby hummed, stroking Edith's hair.