the carnival

A few weeks had past and we did basically the same thing everyday, sandlot, and then went home. Benny and I had been hanging out a lot more than we originally thought we would. We were like best friends even though we just met. And that's it, just friends. It was almost the end of June, and there was a carnival going on pretty close to our houses.
"Benny, you going to the carnival?" Yeah-Yeah asked him. He shrugged and took a drink of his water.
"I might go," I said. Benny looked over at me and smiled.
"I guess I'll go," he said rubbing the back of his neck.
"Then it's settled, what time do you guys want to meet up and where?" Bertram asked.
"How about 8, and we can meet at the entrance, everyone is going, right?" Connor asked. We all nodded. We started walking back to our houses, since it was only 6 o'clock we all had time to wash up and get ready. When it was just Benny, Connor and I, the rest of the walk was pretty quiet except for the occasional giggling from Benny or I. We got to our houses and I waved to Benny and we went our separate ways. Once we got inside, I ran upstairs and showered, washing all the dirt and sweat off of me. I brushed and dryer my hair, putting it up into a bun. I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. I put on a little bit of makeup and a white tank top with black high waisted jeans. I threw on some checkered vans and grabbed $20 for the carnival.
"Mom, I'm heading over to Benny's house, bye!" I yelled. Before I left I grabbed my phone and walked over. Once I got there, I knocked on the door and waited patiently until his mom or him came to the door. His mom opened the door and hugged me. We had met a few times, and she was always very kind to me.
"Hi, Mrs. Rodriguez!" I said hugging her back.
"Addison, it's so nice to see you again! Benny is upstairs getting ready, you can walk into his room if you would like or you can stay down here," she said as I walked inside.
"I'll wait down here," I said smiling. I wanted to go up to see him, but like she said he was getting ready and I didn't want to distract him. He could be completely naked for all I know.
I sat down on the couch and put my phone next to me, looking behind me. "What're you doing, Mrs. Rodriguez?" I asked her smiling.
"I'm just making some dinner for myself, I know you kids are going to the carnival so i didn't bother making extra, and please call me Laura," she said smiling. I laughed and I heard Benny come downstairs.
"Did she bother you?" He asked me laughing.
"No, Benny," I said laughing. I got up and walked over by him.
"We're going to leave now, bye mom," he said waving.
"Bye Laura!" I waved too.
"Goodbye kids, have fun!" She said. We walked out the door and started making our way to the carnival. It was around 7:45, so we had about 15 minutes until we had to be there.
"You- you look beautiful," benny said. i could feel my face burning up.
"Thank you, Benny. You look handsome," I said looking at him. He was wearing a Babe Ruth jersey and some jeans with his PF Flyers. We walked pretty close to each other the entire time, and we got there at 7:50. Timmy, Tommy, Yeah-Yeah, Ham, and DeNunez were already there. We walked over and said our hello's.
"You look pretty," DeNunez and Yeah-Yeah said. I smiled,
"You two look great too," and turned back over to Benny. He was looking the other way with his arms crossed. I put my hand on his shoulder and he flinched then looked my way. I giggled a little bit. "Did I scare you?" I said. He rolled his eyes and looked back at the entrance. Squints, Bertram, and Smalls walked in together. I looked around waiting for Connor, but it was already 5 past 8. "Maybe we should just go and meet up with Connor later, I'll text him," they all nodded and we walked over to the ticket booth. We all got 10 tickets each.
Hey Connor, where are you? I texted him. Benny looked at me and put his arm around me playfully.
I smiled and we all walked to the first ride. We saw the ride up upside-down and round and round. I was super excited because I love scary rides. All the lights lit up the carnival in the pitch black night. After a few minutes of waiting we have the guy our tickets. The ride was called the zipper, and it was 2-3 to a seat. Ham and Bertram went together, DeNunez, Smalls, and Yeah-Yeah went together, Timmy, Tommy, and Squints went together, which left Benny and I to go together. I smiled and him as we stepped into the tiny car looking capsules and we sat down. The ride started going up and stopped for another group of people to go together. Benny looked at me and winked,
"Do you like rides?" He asked me.
"I love them, just prepare yourself because I also like screaming," I put my hand on one of the bars and benny put his on mine. He was about to say something but the ride started again. We were flipping upside down and i was laughing and so was he. I heard Squints screaming "Wendy Peffercorn" from below us. We laughed even more. The cart went in a circle for about 3 times and I screamed. Benny put one of his arms around me and I laughed. We got off the ride and we walked to the games area. I heard Bertram and Ham mocking Squints and saying Wendy Peffercorn in a baby voice. We all sat down at a bench and talked for a while.
"Addy, can you follow me real quick?" Squints said to me. I nodded and got up, following him to the side of a game tent.
"Yeah, Squints? What do you need?"
"I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Benny likes you," he said. He pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose.
"I think you're wrong," I said.
"Fine, let me ask him," Squints said.
"Squints!" I yelled. He ran over to Benny.
"Do you like Addy?" He said. I turned around pretending I didn't hear them and went over to a game tent.
"She's pretty, but I don't have time for girls," I heard him say. My heart shattered in a million pieces. I didn't win anything because my throat was collapsing and I didn't have the strength to even try. I sat back down next to Benny and I looked down. All the boys went for food but I didn't feel like eating. He looked at me and sighed.
"What's wrong?" He said. I shook my head.
"Want to take a picture?" I said 'smiling'. I needed to act happy until we left. He nodded and I grabbed my phone and went to my camera. I lifted the phone up so it got both of us in it. The first picture we both smiled and he put his arm around me. The second picture we both made a funny face. I stuck my tongue out and he crossed his eyes and smiled. The third picture he kissed my cheek and I smiled. I looked at him and he looked at me. He slowly leaned in and closed his eyes and i did the same. He kissed me. He put his hand on my neck and I couldn't help but smile. He pulled away and he looked at me. He looked worried and like he just made the worst mistake of his life. He got up and ran to the food tents. I looked down and tears stung my eyes. I got up and ran out of the carnival, running through the grass next to the street. My tears were flowing down my face like a river and they wouldn't stop. Once I got to my house I slammed the door and ran into my room and locked the door. I fell on my floor and just cried. How could I be so stupid? I thought to myself. Why would I kiss him, he doesn't care about anyone or anything else but baseball. I ended up crying myself to sleep that night.

I tried making this kind of like when they went in the carnival in the movie. I hope you guys enjoyed this story.
Bye💛