Colors- Soulmate AU

Hi everyone! This one-shot is based on the writing prompt above, and I hope you enjoy! This chapter is dedicated to @Percabeth-4eva 'cause she's awesome, helps me edit a bunch of one shots, and keeps me from pouring in WAAAY too much angst into my fics.

 "Okay class, today we are going to review graphing quadratic equations.," my math teacher droned on, pointing to the complicated equation on the board. "Remember, negative b at the beginning...."

Internally groaning, I tuned out of her lesson immediately. We had reviewed this countless times this past school, and I did not need to hear this particular lecture again. My gaze immediately turned to the heel of my hand, as it often did when my mind wandered. Absentmindedly, I ran my fingers over the small patch of ebony that added a piece of interest to my otherwise bronze skin.

The tiny piece of pigmentation seemed insignificant, but the truth could not be further from that. The raven-colored skin was the precise point of contact where I would touch my soulmate for the first time. When he, she, or they touched it, it would erupt into a sea of vibrant color, and then we could decide where to go from there. Though it seemed unimportant, that skin would determine who I spent the rest of my life with, and how I would live it.

My head snapped up as the girl in front of me passed back a worksheet with countless math problems on it. Quickly, I grabbed it from her, realizing that she had been holding it for several seconds. I removed a sheet of paper from the small stack, turning behind me to pass the remainder behind me.

A light blush spread over my normally tan cheeks as I caught eyes with Nico di Angelo. He was in a few of my classes, and I had been noticing recently that he was really cute. Nico held out his hand for the papers, and I nervously handed them to him, our hands brushing in the process.

I stupidly glanced at the stain on my hand, wondering if Nico was my soulmate. My eyes met with the same shade of black as before, and I internally sighed, wondering why I even bothered. There was no chance of Nico di Angelo being my soulmate. He was straight, for God's sake!

---

Satisfied, I shoved my math binder into my already stuffed backpack, glad that I had finished my homework before midnight. As I zipped up the backpack, my eyes fell upon my hand out of habit. I expected to see the typical tiny dark mark that promised happiness. Instead, I was met with something that made my heartbeat quicken.

Colors. Everywhere. A sea of magenta, turquoise, buttercup yellow, and kelly green. Most excitingly, not a trace of charcoal colored or golden skin, either. The colors consumed the entire outside of my hand, creating a vivid piece of artwork that captivated me.

After I had spent a good five minutes examining the vibrant hues on my hand, I began to wonder who my soulmate was. I had met him, her, or them today, likely in the last twelve hours. A quick Internet search had informed me that colors could begin to show a maximum amount of twelve hours after first contact with your soulmate.

I could easily eliminate quite a few people, but the possibilities were still endless. I had been doing my homework for the past six hours, since five in the afternoon, so I hadn't touched anyone since then. At school, I may have brushed hands with someone in the hallway- it was extremely common. Other than that, I might have touched my friends, but none of them were my soulmate, or my hand would have erupted with color already.

So who could it be? I racked my brain for some kind of sign of who it was. Thinking back to math class, I suddenly realized that I had touched my hand with Nico's as I was passing him papers. That was just for a moment- could it be?

I dismissed the idea. There were so many other people it could be. It was silly to think that a straight guy was my soulmate. Still, the idea weighed upon my mind for the rest of the night.