Hanahaki Disease AU

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late update, and thanks for 1.2K reads. The song above is from World Burn by Taylor Lauderman from Mean Girls, my new obsession! So this one-shot is a Hanahaki Disease AU where Nico has an unrequited love for Will, so his lungs fill up with flowers. And he throws up these flowers, and this can only be removed by surgery, which will remove the attraction, or if the person returns the love. If not, the person with the disease will suffocate and die. Other than that, I think it's pretty self-explanatory. If you're confused, you can Google it, I guess. So anyway, sorry for the long explanation, and I hope you enjoy the chapter.

Love kills. I had accepted this reality two months ago when I realized that I had begun coughing up petals, the beautiful flowers laying in a pool of my own blood. The sick symbolism got me each time- the alluring dahlias that would eventually lead to my demise.

But that was my reality. I had contracted the Hanahaki disease, which infected those who suffered from the pain of unrequited love. The deceased person's throat would fill with flowers, and they would continually be expelling them through coughs.

We had three options- have surgery and remove the flowers, but that would get rid of the feelings. Or we could do nothing about it and let the petals rise in our throats until we suffocated and died. Lastly, our crush could return romantic feelings for us, then we would be cured.

Too bad there was only one option for me. My family couldn't afford the surgery since my dad had left and my mother had died. Now it was just my sister, Bianca, and me, and Bianca did the best she could, but it still wasn't enough to pay for the house, let alone my surgery.

My crush, Will Solace, would never have any affection for me besides vague camaraderie. I had accepted it already. He was straight as an arrow. There was no chance he would like me, a guy.

A violent spasm shook me out of my self-pitying thoughts. I stood up, but doubled over immediately and coughed up a myriad of dahlias into my wastebasket. I cringed inwardly as the elegant pool of blood and petals taunted me with the prospect of my own death.

Once the coughing fit was over, I lay on my squeaky mattress, wondering how Bianca would cope after I was dead. Once she had found out that I had Hanahaki's, she had been distancing herself from me, so she wouldn't feel the pain of my death as much. I couldn't be mad at her: that was what I would have done.

---

"Hey Will," I greeted my crush, holding in a violent coughing spell. "What are you doing in the library?"

"I have a project to work on. What about you? Why are you here?"

"I usually spend Study Hall here," I replied, setting down my pencil. "I don't distract that many people with my coughing in a private area."

"Bro that sucks! I would never be able to isolate myself like that." Will answered, sitting down at my table.

"Yeah," I remarked, losing myself in my thoughts again. If only he knew. I would never dare tell Will how I felt about him. I wasn't going to set myself for that kind of humiliation ever again.

"Earth to Nico?" Will asked, jokingly waving a hand in front of my face. "It's not good for you to spend so much time alone. You keep zoning out."

"Sorry," I said, snapping back into reality.

"You should spend Study Hall with your friends," Will suggested, his voice dropping lower when the librarian glared at him. "That's what everyone else does."

"Well, if you haven't noticed, I'm not like everyone else."

"So what, di Angelo, you're dying. Dying. You're not dead already. Have a little fun."