Another School AU

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for 5.3K reads. I'm so glad that I was able to update within a week of my last one, I can't promise it'll be like this later though. This one-shot was crazzzzy for me to write (@PiscesG1rl will know), so I hope you like it! It's really not my best writing- I'm sorry!

 The first day of freshman year was proving to be difficult. The principal hated high schoolers, my English teacher kept making awkward jokes, and I had no classes with any of my old friends. Welcome to hell!

It was only fourth period, so I had a long way to go. At least it was band class, one of my favorites from middle school. I had been taking flute lessons since the fifth grade, and it was definitely my favorite activity.

I entered the band room, which was slightly larger than the one from middle school. A seating chart was projected on the whiteboard at the front of the room, and I quickly took my seat, not noting the names around mine. I scanned the room for Reyna, who played the baritone, and Annabeth, who was a clarinet player.

After I waved at them, I settled down and began to unpack my flute. The room was already pretty crowded since my last class was kind of far away. Next to me was an obviously tall guy, with wavy blonde hair and a smile on his face. He was tapping his pencil on the stand, earbuds still in. I tried not to stare at him- he was really cute. Maybe high school wouldn't be so bad after all.

---

I headed into the cafeteria, quickly spotting my sister, Hazel, and my friend Leo. They were sitting together, splitting a bag of chips. Hazel waved me over and I quickly sat down.

"How's your day going so far?" Leo asked, shoveling ten chips into his mouth.

"Hey! We're sharing," Hazel exclaimed, snatching the bag.

"Fine. Pretty boring though,"

"Yeah! I'm also pretty sure my Spanish teacher hates me. Not my fault that I'm already fluent!"

Smirking, I asked Hazel, "Is Frank in any of your classes?"

Hazel blushed visibly, causing Leo to laugh maniacally. Last year, Hazel had crushed on Frank, and they had texted a few times this summer.

"We've got History, Gym, and Woodworking together,"

"Why don't you ask him to Homecoming?" Leo suggested, getting up to recycle their bag of chips.

She laughed loudly at that, saying, "It's only the first day of school. Homecoming isn't for another month. Relax!"

"When the time comes, you should totally do it though," I advised her. "Frank's a good guy, and he obviously likes you. And even if he rejects you, he's gonna do it nicely."

"Okay, okay! Let's not talk about it anymore. Have you seen anyone cute?"

"Actually, I have,"

"Spill the tea!" Leo clapped his hands, rolling his eyes at his ironic statement.

"It doesn't really matter," I said. "He's a junior, but I don't know what his name is."

"How do you know him?" Hazel asked, leaning in. My love life has been painfully empty since practically every guy in our grade is a member jerk.

"He's my stand partner in the band," I explained. "It's not a big deal, because he's a junior and everything."

"We want details!" Leo cut in.

"Tomorrow," I promised. I had a feeling Band would be eventful this year.

---

One week later, everything had changed. Band class had been amazing since my teacher/conductor was really nice and he had picked out a variety of pieces. Other classes went by like normal, and I was getting good grades despite my ADHD and dyslexia.

There was only one problem. We would keep our stand partners for the rest of the year, so I was stuck next to Will Solace, the cute junior who I had been paired with on the first day. (Spoiler alert: I glanced at his papers when he was writing his name down. Totally not stalkerish.)

That's right. I had a full-blown crush on Will. It was the most ridiculous thing ever. He was a junior, so he was way too old for me. He could drive, for Zeus' sake! Plus he was way out of my league anyway.

I was sitting in Band class again, bored as the teacher, Mr. X, went through a tricky portion with the trumpet section. Will was softly drumming his fingers against his legs, something I had noticed to be one of his most common habits. Glancing at him, I took in his ocean eyes and sandy hair again.

This needed to stop. Every time I was bored during Band, I would sneak a look at him, every few seconds. It was getting weird.

So I established a new rule for myself. I could only glance at Will two to three times throughout the school day. That way, I wouldn't seem like a stalker. Plus, every time I looked at him, I started to fall for him a little bit more. I rolled my eyes. This was starting to sound like a romance movie.

In future days, this would prove annoying. Each morning, I sat by my locker, doing homework, listening to music, and just chilling. After about fifteen minutes of me sitting there, Will would show up and sit on the floor across from me. Plenty of upperclassmen lounged in the hallways- there was nothing strange about it. But if I was with Hazel, I always made a point to grab her arm and run away.

Another time, Leo and I were walking home, and we crossed paths with him and his friend, Percy Jackson. I promptly bolted in the other direction, leaving Leo confused as he didn't know who Will was. However, my efforts were unsuccessful for the most part. I was deeply obsessed with Will.

And I couldn't even bring myself to hate that I liked him. It wasn't something I could control, no matter how hard I tried. I would just have to ride this out.

---

A few weeks later, the entire school was abuzz. Homecoming proposals between classes were becoming increasingly common, and the tired faculty just let it slide. Frank had asked Hazel a week ago, and it was all she could talk about.

Leo and I didn't have dates, so we joked about going as friends. In truth, we were both probably going to skip and watch Netflix at his house. In contrast, I watched Will like a hawk, trying to find out if he had a date. If he did, there was no way I was going to show up and see that misery.

Fourth period had rolled around again, and I walked through the door, involuntarily glancing at Will, who had his earbuds in, as usual. I sat down as usual and began listening to instructions as I unpacked my flute. Great. Another fabulous day of sneakily peeking at Will and wishing I was with him.

Recently, I had been thinking that we could end up together. What a joke. I was becoming worse and worse by the day.

I usually had a cold looking resting face, but even that was failing. Every time I saw or thought about Will, a small smile appeared on my face. It was getting so cringey.

In no time, class was over, and the bell rang. I grabbed my phone, packed my flute, and got ready to head out.

"Nico?" Will's voice called out to me. I spun around, extremely confused. Will and I had spoken once or twice, with muffled thank yous from me for passing papers and such. There had also been one incident where he explained something to me, and he had picked up my pencil twice. I really was going crazy. "Can I ask you something really quick?"

I nodded, to incoherent to speak.

"I know this is super weird and a really bad ask, but do you want to go to Homecoming with me?"

"Is this a joke?" I asked, turning away. I had never thought that Will could be cruel. Showed my naivety, I guess.

"No, really. Do you want to go?"

"Sure, I guess," still not turning around. I had to be careful. But a small smile broke out on my face regardless.

So I hope you liked it! Please put story requests in the comments, thanks! See you within a week, and bye!