Aging Soulmate AU

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't updated in forever. I thought I would be free over the summer, but it's really been the opposite. Hopefully, I can make it up to you guys by posting extra. This one-shot is based on the Tumblr post above. By the way, thanks so much for 2.5K reads! My goal is to get to 3K by the end of the summer. If I update more, maybe I can make it! Sorry for the super long author's note, and I hope you enjoy the chapter! (It's in Nico's POV)

 I stared at my youthful face in the mirror, making a silly face. My reflection stared back at me, the same eighteen-year-old face I had grown accustomed to seeing for the past one hundred fifty years. One hundred fifty years of pure power.

While everyone else in my country was trying to search for their soulmates, who they would grow old with, I knew what my true destiny was. To take control of this stupid place. I remained forever eighteen since I had no desire to find my soulmate.

Actually, it was quite the opposite. Humans stopped aging once they turned eighteen, so they could find their soulmate then grow up with them. I, however, employed my thousands of spies to search for my soulmate, then murder them. I couldn't die. This whole country would collapse. I was doing them all a favor. Anyway, King Nico di Angelo didn't have time for love.

I had been a prince, all those years ago. My whole family had died eventually, my mother and father dying peacefully of old age while my elder sister Bianca was murdered. She never got to find her soulmate. So why should I?

It had been easy enough. No one objected when I took over the throne. They were all too busy with their soulmates.

I spoke to no one besides the workers at my palace, and I made all laws on my own. I had seen the magazine covers that circulated around my country, my face popping up on them every few years, wondering why I hadn't found my soulmate yet. No one knew what I did. And they never would.

Some thought I was cold and forbidding. Others were onto me. It had been done before of course, people chasing immortality. Those people were different. They always gave in to the silly powers of their so-called "love". That wasn't me. I intended to live forever.

---

I plopped down on my soft bed, tired after a long day of solving the unemployment problems my country was facing. Maybe if they stopped devoting their lives to finding their soulmates, they could actually get a job. Crazy idea, right?

As soon as I began to drift off and relax, a dubious knock sounded at my door. Leaping up in surprise, I lazily asked, "Who is it?"

"Percy, sir," the voice said. I immediately recognized it as my favorite guard, Percy Jackson. He was one of the only decent people in this place. "There is a visitor for you."

"What?" I asked, now fully alert. I never had visitors. And if I did, the guards deemed them not worth my time. "Come in."

Percy opened the door, explaining, "He says it's urgent."

"Are you kidding me? It's midnight. Any reasonable person should be asleep by now."

"Nico, just give him a chance. I heard his story and I think that you would want to hear it."

"What is it?" I asked, now curious. This had never happened before. "Can't it wait until morning?"

"Just come on. Trust me."

"Fine," I replied grouchily, standing up.

After a short walk down to my living room, with me grumbling throughout the whole way, I finally glimpsed the boy who had wanted to talk to me. He was about my age and probably hadn't found his soulmate yet. Ugh. I hoped he wasn't obsessed with it like everyone else.