Musical

Hi everyone! Sorry for the late update. The song above is Stupid With Love from the Mean Girls Musical. It's brought up in the story, so I recommend listening. Comment if you want a Part 2!!! I hope you enjoy!

 I had finally found it. The sign-up sheet was right across from the climbing wall that spluttered with lava. Why it was there, I had no idea.

Camp Half-Blood was holding its first musical this year. We were doing Mean Girls, which was probably going to be the most hilarious thing this camp has ever seen. Everyone expected it to be dominated by Apollo kids, but I still wanted to try out.

I had never been in any kind of production before. Most of my childhood, my life, was spent in the Lotus Hotel and Casino, and there were no plays or musicals put on there. Still, I was excited to try.

Bianca had always told me that I had a nice singing voice. But I didn't think it was well suited for musicals. It was soft, best for helping someone fall asleep or singing to myself.

I grabbed the pen attached to the sign-up sheet and quickly scrawled my name on the last open space. I read the names above mine, finding the names of the entire Apollo cabin as well as some others, and surprisingly, Rachel Dare.

The tryouts were in a week. I didn't care much, but it would be nice, and hilarious. I had heard that they were letting people take roles regardless of gender, and I thought it might be nice to be Cady. Before I got my hopes up, I walked back to my cabin.

---

I headed to the field where the Hephaestus cabin had set up an impressive stage. I was just glad that we weren't putting on an Ancient Greek drama like Lysistrata or Antigone. Right now, Kayla was on stage belting out Someone Gets Hurt. She had the part locked down.

"Nico di Angelo?" Annabeth, who was directing the musical, called my name.

I stepped onto the stage, grateful that I wasn't suffering from stage fright. I had practiced my audition in front of a few satyrs and dryads and shaken off my nerves then. For my audition, I had chosen to sing Waving Through A Window from the amazing musical Dear Evan Hansen.

"Whenever you're ready," Annabeth instructed encouragingly, her gray eyes glinting in the sun.

"I've learned to slam on the brake," I half-whispered. "Before I even turned the key."

I glanced around, looking at the thumbs up I was getting from some of the people watching.

Continuing, I sang with a little more confidence. "Before I make the mistake. Before I lead with the worst of me."

It was actually going well. People were gathering around to watch me sing, and before I knew it, I was at the chorus.

"On the outside always looking in, will I ever be more than I've always been?" I belted, asking myself the same questions. Life had been tough ever since we left Westover Hall Military Academy.

Suddenly, I was finished, and everyone who was watching gave a round of applause. I smiled back at them, hoping I had at least made it into some part of the musical. I stepped off the stage at Annabeth's command, still beaming.

Maybe this summer would turn out differently than I expected.

---

Two days later, I stood inside the Big House. It was crowded, filled with chatter about the musical we would be putting on. All the head counselors had advertised it to their siblings, and many more people had auditioned. We needed the roles, after all.