TWENTY-FOUR

Hoseok could hear the beeping of a heart monitor and the sounds of quiet sobs. He opened his eyes slowly and realised he was back in hospital.

Yoongi sat on a chair next to him, his knees up against his chest as he rested his arms on them. His head sat in the gap they created.

Hoseok felt guilt fill him and reached out to touch Yoongi. Yoongi jumped before looking up at Hoseok. He sniffed, wiping his eyes.

Hoseok attempted to apologise, but he couldn't speak because he had a mask on providing him with oxygen.

Instead he just looked sadly at Yoongi, continuing to touch his arm.

Hoseok lay back on the bed, staring at the roof as he realised this was it.

He could no longer breath for himself... It wasn't long until his heart gave up too.

Hoseok looked back at Yoongi, wanting to tell him so many things.

In the time they'd been together, Hoseok had only said he loved Yoongi once.

He wanted to tell Yoongi he loved him, to not worry, and to not be sad when he did die. But he couldn't, because of the stupid mask on his face.

"Hoseok..." Yoongi said, his voice cracking slightly. "I love you." Yoongi kissed Hoseok's forehead, making Hoseok wish even more that the mask wasn't there.

Hoseok would never get to feel Yoongi's lips on his again, he would never get to taste Yoongi's pancakes, seaweed soup or ramen... Nothing.

For the first time in a long time, Hoseok suddenly didn't want to die.

-

Yoongi woke to a long beeping noise. He frowned before remembering where he was.

"Hoseok!" Yoongi jumped up and stared at Hoseok in horror. The doctor rushed into the room. "H-He..."

The doctor looked down at Hoseok and then up at Yoongi. He then looked around, presumably for Seokjin who had left an hour ago.

"Yoongi, Hoseok is dead..." The pain in Yoongi's chest spiked. "But, we may be able to do a lung transplant. There's no promising it will work but-"

"Will it save him?"

"Yes, but it might not work." Yoongi shook his head.

"If there's a chance he might survive, do it."

-

Yoongi sat outside the hospital room, waiting for some news on Hoseok. He bit his thumb nervously, staring at the wall opposite him.

He heard the door open and his head shot up. The doctor walked out, and Yoongi didn't like the look on his face.

The doctor shook his head, sitting down next to Yoongi.

"I'm sorry... It almost worked. For a few seconds, Hoseok seemed like he'd make it, but he didn't. I'm sorry." Yoongi just nodded. The doctor sighed.

"Thank you... for trying." Yoongi said, his voice emotionless and robotic. He slowly stood up. "I'll go tell Seokjin."

-

Yoongi sat on his bed, hugging Hoseok's pillow to his chest. He stared blankly at the opposite wall.

He didn't feel, and he didn't think.

That saved him from the pain he felt from losing Hoseok.

-

"Now, Mr. Seokjin, I understand this is a tough time for you." The lawyer said, briefly looking up from his papers at the man sitting across from him.

Seokjin nodded, trying to wipe away the tears that kept falling.

Hoseok was gone, his best friend was gone.

"But, we must address the issue of the will..." The lawyer pulled out the sheet of paper with Hoseok's neat writing on it. "It says here he leaves everything to you, including his robot... Yoongi... who he would like the be given a few things from the will. And looked after."

"Okay, I can do that." Seokjin nodded, pulling a tissue from his pocket to wipe his eyes.

"But... We had some people from Bangtan Incorporated go around and look at the robot, and they said it was broken." Seokjin frowned.

"Broken?"

"Yes, the robot was completely unresponsive. It just sat on the bed and stared into space." The lawyer pulled out another sheet of paper. "According to this, the robot had a large crack on what served as its heart."

"Yoongi's heart broke?"

"Essentially..." The lawyer continued to read through the sheet. "But Bangtan Incorporated sent it away and it's all fixed now. The only thing is, they had to restart the robot to fix it."

"Wait, no, you can't restart him!" Seokjin exclaimed. "He'll forget Hoseok!"

"I'm afraid it's too late, the robot's already been repaired." As if on cue, the doors opened and Yoongi walked in, followed by two men in Bangtan Incorporated uniforms.

Yoongi stared blankly at Seokjin before smiling, no sign of recognition on his face.

"Hi. My name is BTS-SUGA-YOONGI." He said. "It's a pleasure to serve you."

-

-

-
Last time this got a lot of comments about "why would you do a heart transplant at the last minute when he's dead??" and honestly I don't know. All I do know is a CF (I think that's what Hoseok has, it's been a long time) survivor had a similar experience and that's what I based it on - only difference is where she survived, Hoseok died. Sorry about that

Thank you for reading