Exploratory Laparotomy

is a surgical operation where the abdomen is opened and the abdominal organs examined for injury or disease.

Deanna's POV

A lot of things on my mind right now, why is this happening? What am I gonna do? Can I save her? I need to save her. It's my job to save lives. You need to save her because she's making the girl you love happy. My inner thoughts bugging me. But it's true, losing Ced in this situation also means a sad Jema and I don't want that to happen. I have to do everything to save her happiness.

Everyone ready? Let's go. I told the team as we're heading now to the operating theatre. Everything is set all we need to do is transfer her to the operating room and perform the necessary surgeries. Yes surgeries, she might need a couple of surgeries because of the damages. She has hemoperitoneum or blood accumulation in her abdominal cavity, she also has fracture in her legs so she needs an orthopedic surgery.

Speaking of ortho, I haven't seen pa the surgeon. I still need to talk to whoever is the person in charge. My plan is I'll operate first, stabilize the patient then they can move on with her fracture.

I thought alam na ng ortho dept? Asan sila? I asked one of the staff. I told them earlier na iinform ang ortho department.

Ay doc, nasa operating room 2 po ang surgeon may ongoing operation, sabi po kanina na mauna po kayo para ma stabilize niyo muna ang patient bago sila. Susunod din naman po agad si doc right after her operation. Sahot naman ng isang nurse. Her? So babae pala ang pinakamagaling na ortho dito?

Andito na kami sa tapat ng Operating Theatre. So I told them na ipasok na ang pasyente and prep her while I'll change my clothes into surgical scrub suit and do surgical hand scrubbing to make sure that everything is clean I mean not only clean but sterile. We don't want any cross contamination or risking patients for infection. Since we're going to make a cut and open her up, it only means she's susceptible to infection that may cause late healing or worst another complications. We don't want that.

After doing the necessary procedures. I entered the theatre. Everything is set up already. Patient on the operating table. Surgical equipments are all complete. Anesthesiologist in his post and just waiting for my signal to start the induction of anesthesia to the patient.

Before starting the operation. We did the routine procedure which we call, "time out". During a "time out" we correctly and assure the patients identity, surgical site, and planned procedure. In this way, we can prevent patient harm. We also call a "time-out" after the surgery before transferring the patient to the recovery room.

After the time out, we say a little prayer then started the operation. We put the patient on a combine general and epidural anesthesia. We started the operation, as I cut her open, blood everywhere. We need to find the bleeder so that we can control it and check for any damages.

It took us a couple of hours in the operating room. We're doing good actually, everything is going on smoothly. No complications so far, every organ in her body was checked carefully for any damage, as expected may laceration sa heart and liver that needs stitches. Medyo nahirapan lang kami kasi bleeder pala si Ced, naka transfuse nga kami ng dalawang bag ng dugo.

We're almost done na, when the ortho surgeon arrived.

Doc, andito na po ang ortho. Sabi ng circulating nurse.

Okay, tell her na. We're almost done na. Final closing na lang. I replied. Tapos na din ako actually. And kahit maaga pa sabihin, I'm satisfied with what I have done and Ced is reponding well. Her vitals are all stable. I told the nurse na papasokin na ang ortho para maka pag simula na.