7. A Toe Dip

CHAPTER 7 A TOE DIP

At this point, I was blurting whatever came to mind.

"If there's anything that I can do to help, tell me- I will-"

And like a switch turned off, like my words were magic, Elixio's shuddering, choking, crying was cured and his head snapped back to me. His eyes lost their glossy sheen and their blue color, opting for a mischievous blood red. I didn't even get the glint of his tooth this time.

I felt like the room had gotten darker, and the temperature had risen. The only light, besides the multicolor reflection from the glass mural, were Elixio's hypnotizing red eyes. I tried to pull away from their- his intensity but I only found that my hands were trapped in his vice grip. "You would do anything to save my master, right, Susan-Neoma?"

I made another attempt to pull away and grunted out my discomfort but they fell off of numb lips. I couldn't move, I couldn't look away. Elixio gaze entrapped me better than his hands did, seducing me into their vermillion swirls as they danced around the dark edges of his pupils, sending out scarlet fireworks, screaming to escape from the cerise apocalypse that approached them-

"Yes. Anything." I moved my mouth and spoke but I couldn't hear me. The red waves of Elixio washed over me, speaking for me.

Elixio red intensity eased a bit, his eyes developing a russet hue. As it's intensity weaned, so did the cloud over my sense of reasoning. But not in its entirety.

I still couldn't move and I still couldn't speak but I could think a bit more clearly and my hearing returned to hear Elixio speak. "Do you remember when we spoke about humans not being created equal? In the car?"

I nodded slowly, still not able to speak. Still not able to think deeply.

Elixio nodded his head towards the bed but didn't break eye contact with me. "To explain simply, Master Klaus, his sibling, the Klaus patrons and I are examples of unequally made humans. There's nothing wrong with us... we're just of the more... hellish variety. Do you understand?"

My heart thudded against my chest as I nodded again. I wanted to close my eyes. Closeout Elixio. The estate. Zuemier. All of it. Wanted to be in the desk of my bakery closest. Ricardo breathing on my neck. His hand ten feet too far up my ass. Anything but this. I wanted to scream. I didn't want to believe this to be the truth. I wanted to cry. I didn't want this to be true.

But all while, I was still here. Sitting in a faux patient room of a foreign estate, being hypnotized into a catatonic state by man- no a-a-a... being with unnaturally perceptive, color changing eyes and inhuman powers of control. I can't deny the reality around me. As much as I wanted to, I couldn't.

As if hearing- no, Elixio was actively hearing my train of thought, and his eyes kicked back up to their higher intensity; seducing me into their vermillion swirls as they danced around the dark edges of his pupils, sending out scarlet fireworks, screaming to escape from cerise-

"Little Neoma, Master Klaus is a very important person in our little world of hellish humans but he hasn't been taking care of himself as of recent. Master Klaus needs to... eat, just like everybody else. And just like you, to keep a good body, to stay healthy- you can't just eating anything. Stuffing yourself with junk food and grease will make you sick, right, Little Neoma."

I nodded, like a good little girl.

From under the radiant vermillion that was threatening suck me back in, I could see Elixio release a smile. Toothy, and sickly sweet as he was satisfied with my response.