11. The Agreement

CHAPTER 11 THE AGREEMENT

An awkward silence fell over the three of us after I corrected him. Zuemier had simply given me a brash nod and looked away from me as if anything else would be more interesting than a conversation with me.

He's a prick.

You already knew that.

I don't know what sort of interaction I was expecting from Zuemier after yesterday. A heartfelt thank you? I was questioning whether if he was even sick in the first place. A compliment on the good sex? I didn't even touch him and he's probably had better. Him telling me he found me as sexy and oddly alluring as I found him?

Not a chance.

But he did look a lot better. The color in his skin was vibrant and he sounded healthy. Maybe I did help him.

Or maybe he had a good nights rest after a good-

I squinted my eyes at a menu I quickly picked it up, not liking the implications of the direction of my thoughts. A thankful distraction appeared in the form of a waiter as I did so.

He looked like a sweet young man, with a preteen-Justin-Bieber cut brown mop and warm, charming smile. He gave a short bow towards the boys individually. "Elixio, sir. Master Klaus. What can I get you for breakfast or is she sufficient?"

My eyes bulged at the waiter, and again, like yesterday, an unusual fury of sass was bubbling up in my throat. Logically, I shouldn't be upset. Even my very basic understanding of Elixio's kind, from what he's told me, is sufficient to let me know that their not human and don't eat food for sustenance but rather people- as in the sexy stuff from people, not people themselves.

My knowledge didn't leave me feeling any less indignant, however. I still felt insulted to be looked at like livestock, like a meal, less than them. And ludicrously enough, I was offended that the waiter didn't think I would be enough of a meal to satisfy them!

Elixio put a calming hand on my shoulder, pressuring it to rest back in the booth. He gave the waiter a charming smile, "Three espressos with whip cream on top, thank you."

The waiter scribbled in a notepad only to pause and gave me an incredulous glance before meeting Elixio's eyes again. "Three?" He question.

Before I could answer the waiter in my rage, Elixio's hand was once more, pushing me back into the comfort of the leather booth. "Yes. Three. Thank you." Elixio rushed through a smile and gritted teeth.

The waiter, a bit confused, nodded and walked off. I was left huffing, crossing my arms tighter around myself and grumbling about respect.

Quickly, whipped creme topped espresso appeared on our table by a different waiter and we were left in silence once more, only with the addition of espresso steam and melting whip cream in the air.

Elixio broke the silence first, clearing his throat as he pushed the thicker of two leather folders towards a stone-faced Zuemier. He simply raised an eyebrow at it.

"These are documents that I advise you go through to be able to understand-" Elixio spoke as he pushed the other leather folder towards Zuemier. "These deals, proposals, and contracts. The background info is labeled as to which business deal they correspond to. Besides those, the Peruvian chieftain left a message on your business phone, the Czech Czar emailed..." And continued to go on for absolutely forever over Zuemier missed work. I thought my brain would fall asleep just from listening.

I rolled my eyes and scooped the whipped cream off my espresso to enjoy it, leaving the spoon on a spare plate. I took careful sips before sparing a cautious glance at Zuemier. I quickly regretted it, however, finding his gaze already mulling over me as we made eye contact.